Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

F-35 first in-flight STOVL engagement successful.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

El-Rushbo

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...gins-in-flight-stovl-operations-80939632.html

NAVAL AIR STATION PATUXENT RIVER, Md., Jan. 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) F-35B Lightning II short takeoff/vertical landing (STOVL) stealth fighter engaged its STOVL propulsion system in flight for the first time today. The successful test is the first in a series of planned STOVL-mode flights that will include short takeoffs, hovers and vertical landings.

There was something on the local Phoenix news this morning about Luke getting some F-35s, but the geriatrics in Sun City with nothing better to do were already complaining about "increased noise levels" with the new aircraft......

:uzi:

A list came out a while back, for the initial 300 or so. From what I can remember. Active: Shaw, Hill, Eglin, Luke....Guard: Vermont, Boise, Tucson, South Carolina, JAX and I think the reserve unit in Ft. Worth.

Great...now in maybe 10 years, we'll have a ship that it can actually deploy on.

With the current situation with NAVSEA and our shipbuilding contracts, we just might have one ship in 10 years that is capable of operating the thing.

I am not a military pilot so please excuse the ignorance. What do you mean it can not fit on the ships? (Something new or always known?)Wouldn't that be one of the things to consider before building a new plane?

Overweight and doesn't fit on the LHA. What a waste of money.

SWAT redesign several years back took care of weight issues. F-35 has a 35 ft wingspan, comparable to the AV-8B 31 ft wingspan.

So, no. No weight or LHA issues. If you feel otherwise, please provide a link or citation.

Latest resources

Back