• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

F-18 down in RDU

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From what I was told the jet had a catastrophic fuel leak. That is by no means official. Being a prior Hornet MMCO I know this is a problem with the F-18 A. That makes 8 Class A or near Class A mishaps for the Navy in the last few weeks. Time for a safety stand down.

I've been flying out of RDU all week and saw them moving the wreckage. I've heard a few things around the airport about the guy punching out with the power levers still at TO power and so on. Whatever the circumstances someone was watching over RDU when it happened. The airplane missed the pax terminal (Northwest Airlines gate) by 250 feet, and stopped about 200 feet from the fuel farm. If the F18 had left the runway a few degrees further to the right it would have hit the terminal or the airplane on the gate.

It's been mentioned around the airport that the guy is in a heap of trouble for leaving the airplane under full power next to the terminal, that may be just a rumor and I dont want to comment on something I dont have facts on, but whatever the circumstances it looks like a really, really bad situation was narrowly avoided.

I'm not bashing lakes now. A few of my friends work there. Just wondering where he works. Thanks (Wish I had a job)

Flywrite is right on. The wreckage missed the terminal, but only by a few hundred feet. I was out there on Friday when it happened. I wasn't watching the take off, but saw the aftermath of the fireball and smoke. Our mechanic saw the whole thing. Said it drifted off the left side of 23L then back on...when it came back on the runway, the gear bowed out and the center fuel tank started scrapping the ground. Full power, afterburners and all. Guy punched out and was allright. Aircraft went acrossed right side of runway and acrossed taxiway, where it just missed the aircraft parked at the gate and the terminal before coming to a rest in a fireball explosion just short of the fuel farm. Lots of thick black smoke and caos. Don't know what caused the whole thing... but its a miracle nobody was killed. the whole thing was quite horrifying. the airport was closed for about an hour and a half, and the side of the airport that it happend on was still closed saturday morning.

to answer your questions.

no i'm not GUAT? what is that anyway?
i haven't been playing falcon 4.0 to much.
i don't work for great lakes.
the f18 IS diddicult to fly. why do people mock me continually.
we'll see who has the last laugh.. haha.

GO THE MAV!!

Top Gun - Mav,

People laugh at you for many reasons.....

1. You are a B1900 FO with an ego the size of Manhattan.
2. You don't even deserve to be a B1900 FO. You *bought* your job at TAB Express - PFT is a controversial subject with many pros and cons. Irregardless of whether PFT is good or bad, you are incredibly loud and obnoxious about the fact you bought your job and the fact you think you'll be at JetBlue within a few years. Here's a tip - keep your mouth shut on you doing PFT and how you think you're jumping the career line. And if you're so sure you'll be at JetBlue within a few years, I've got news for you. Every time you see an RJ or a turboprop or a military jet or a 135 charter or a King Air or a bizjet taxiing around, thats your competition building valuable turbine PIC time. There are a lot of qualified people out there looking for the few top airline jobs out there - expect intense competition from well qualified people. Except when you do get to interview at JetBlue, your checkbook won't be able to bail you out!
3. Your airline is an absolute joke. I'd wager Tab Express makes more $$$ from the passengers paying to sit up front (the PFT FOs) than the pax that sit in the back!
4. You nearly failed your B1900 checkride. Nothing wrong with busting a checkride, but there would've been a lot've FlightInfo folks happy to dance on your grave.....
5. Most importantly, you really don't realize how ignorant and dangerous you are.

JTrain

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back