Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
According to Juvat: even a steaming turd has a natural harmonic

Thanks for the laugh!!

Thank God my wife's not home right now to "correct" me because of my "natural harmonic." At least you viper guys fly the speed of stink so you can flee the bouquet. In the WC-130 we have to rely on the sextant port.

bssthound said:
In the WC-130 we have to rely on the sextant port.
Cool! That's a good use for the port. I always wondered why they didn't super glue that thing shut years ago...now I know! :D

Bonesf15 and Juvat,

The man happens to be correct. If you've flown the jet or not would have nothing to do with it.

2Step said:
The man happens to be correct.
If I told you the sky was blue, I would also be correct, but it still wouldn't answer the original question posed in this thread. Mr. Helper pulled a friggin' engineering fact out of his pants and tried to sell it as the answer to why we put the AIM-120 on stations 1 and 9. Well I'm sorry fellas, but that's not the correct answer. Just because you whip out a fact, doesn't mean there's an automatic correlation with reality. Believe it or not, some things on the Viper are done for non-engineering reasons.

By the way, 2Step: O-2A! My hat's off to ya. Guys who flew that thing had brass big ones. Were you a Raven?

Last edited:
Coolness factor

Patmack18 said:
So it the coolness factor in the Dash 1 then? (Sorry.. couldn't help myself)
Viper Driver = Chicks dig us, guys think we're cool!!!

Bones should know, he's got some Viper stank on him before he had a gib...

Check six,

Juvat said:
I've carried 2000-lb Mk-84 bombs under each wing, hauling like a scalded a$$ ape at 500 kts, 500' AGL, with the wings shaking so badly it looked like they were going to rip right off the jet.
Ah, yes. The Viper idea of CAS!

Danderandan said:
Why is it that more and more often I see F-16’s with AIM-120s on the wing tips and AIM-9’s on the next pylons inboard. What’s the reason for this because my logic would dictate that the lighter missile on the outer tips would mean a quicker rate of role (by simply taking into account moments of force).

Anyone care to shed any light on this.

Thanks in advance, d.
Depends on the SCL. Most SCLs call for 2 by MRM (Medium Range Missiles, AIM-120) and 2 by SRM (Short Range Missile, AIM-9) and then whatever air to ground munitions is fragged. So, the load is usually 2x2, or 3x1 for air-to-air munitions depending if it is day or night. Viper weapon stations are numbered left to right, 1 to 9 (looking forward).

The Viper OFP (Operational Flight Program) is mechanized to fire left to right, outboard to inboard. So, on a typical intercept profile the first depression of the pickle button (provided the pilot is in the A-A master mode or inboard on the dogfight switch) would fire the missile on station 1, the second pickle would fire station 9, the third pickle would fire station 2, then the next would fire station 8.

Thus, the first opportunity to engage the enemy would be at longer range given a normal intercept profile and then at closer range as the intercept progresses.

So, we load the AIM-120s on the tips (stations 1 & 9) and the AIM-9s inboard (stations 2 & 8) and then if the target has survived all that, you gun him, or her.:D

BTW, you develop a quicker roll rate by having MORE weight outboard rather than inboard.

Hope this helps…

F16TJ said:
BTW, you develop a quicker roll rate by having MORE weight outboard rather than inboard.
*scratching my head*

Can you explain this one to me? Seems to me that if you have all your mass near the centerline of the A/C, it would be more responsive to a roll input than if you had a bunch of mass way out at the wingtips. Picture a turntable with 2 bricks on it, sitting across from one another at the edges. It's gonna take a while for it to get up to speed. Now take those same two bricks and stack them on top of each other in the middle of the turntable. It will accelerate to speed much quicker. Or am I applying the wrong theory to this situation?

F16TJ said:

The Viper OFP (Operational Flight Program) is mechanized to fire left to right, outboard to inboard. So, on a typical intercept profile the first depression of the pickle button (provided the pilot is in the A-A master mode or inboard on the dogfight switch) would fire the missile on station 1, the second pickle would fire station 9, the third pickle would fire station 2, then the next would fire station 8.
All depends on what missile is selected though. If AIM 9 is up, 2 and then 8 will of course go first ;) Assuming you fly with the configuration you describe.

Latest resources

Back