• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eyesight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I saw on the website that a pilot needs 20/20 vision to receive a class 1 medical. Can the vision be correctible to 20/20 with corrective lenses/contacts, or does vision need to be perfect without glasses/contacts? Thanks for the info!

20/20 correctable

Absolutely. My vision is far worse than 20/20. I wear corrective lenses and I hold a First (which is now good only for Third Class privileges).

Hope that helps some more.

I got a first class when I started flying just to make sure there wasn't anything at this point that would hold me back from getting one in the future. I don't wear contacts or glasses, and they gave me the first class. Does that mean I have 20/20 vision?

Not necessarily. It means you were able to read the letters on the wall. If you want to know what your vision is doing, I recommend a visit to your local optometrist. Even the guys at Lenscrafters can tell you if you have a healthy or an abnormal eye. Get your baselines now, so if something changes, the docs can tell without expensive testing and loss of flying privileges. Same thing with hearing, are the headsets and earplugs working for you, or do you need to invest more in protection?

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

re: eyesight

i am newbie on aviation. Somtimes I go to airport and walk for a while. Frankly, i don't see any airline captin to wear a glasses.

So I will ask me whether i can become airline captin with my pair of glasses.

Hope you guys can correct me if i were wrong.

-ppp1

Glasses

nckwan said:
i am newbie on aviation. Somtimes I go to airport and walk for a while. Frankly, i don't see any airline captin to wear a glasses.

So I will ask me whether i can become airline captin with my pair of glasses.

Hope you guys can correct me if i were wrong.
You can. As long as you hold a First Class Medical you are eligible.

I see an irony in these comments. For many years Delta required 20/20 or better uncorrected vision for its applicants. Meaning that you had to have 20/20 or better on your date of hire. It then could deteriorate. Delta made such a big deal out of perfect vision, but I've seen plenty of Delta pilots who wear glasses.

Eyes

Personally, I wear contacts. While companies aren't legally allowed to discriminate based on your looks....if you walked into the interview with coke-bottle glasses...If you can refract to 20/20 (no matter how poor your vision) wear some contacts

Latest resources

Back