Eyeglass tax deduction

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skiddriver

If your medical is marked to indicate that wearing of eyeglasses is required, and your company policy is that you must carry a spare pair of glasses with you, can you deduct the cost of two pair of glasses as a business/equipment expense from your federal taxes?

From what I understand, anything that is required to do your job is a tax deduction. I am not a CPA, so I would suggest you go to the IRS website and do a search on the rules.

Thanks, tried the IRS and a Google search first. Looking for someone who might have already broken the code on it. The company plan only covered about 25% of the cost of the glasses, and I really only use them flying (mild correction, single vision lenses).

I have used a company before that specializes in pilot tax deductions. On their worksheet there is a space for sunglasses. I would think that you could also deduct normal glasses since you need them for work.

Be careful about the anything needed to do your job is deductible.

I also am not a CPA or tax attorney, however I do enjoy studying the tax laws, (weird isn't it).

I guess the first thing you have to decide is whether the glasses are a business expense or a medical expense? I may be wrong but without getting the books out and looking it up my guess (and only a guess) is that the glasses would fall under the medical expense category.

If audited the auditor will look to answer 2 questions related to employee business expenses.

1. Is this ordinary for the performance of the job for which it is being deducted?

2. Is it necessary for the performance of the job for which it is being deducted?

I suggest that you look at IRS Form 2106 Business Expenses and IRS Publication 529. Both of these may help answer your questions.

I would also caution you about the numerous deductions that many people will suggest that you take. The list can be lengthy but rather questionable. As a general rule (and I know that you shouldn't use general rules when dealing with the government) if the expense you are deducting is for something that is used for your job and only for your job it can be deducted, otherwise it may be only a partial deduction or no deduction at all.

Remember it is all deductible until the audit!

Specs deduction

I have a degree in Accounting and did my own taxes for thirty years, including all the years I was in aviation.

Having said that, the test might be if you would otherwise need your glasses for ordinary activities of life. That may well be a gray area. In my case, I wore glasses before I started flying and switched to contacts with a SODA directing that I carry "an extra set of corrective lenses during all times that was exercising the privileges of [my] airman certificate." So, could I deduct my extra set of glasses? I don't think so, because I needed corrective lenses anyway.

You might be able to deduct your glasses as a medical expense. However, you cannot deduct anything as a medical expense unless your cumulative deductions are at least something like 7% of your adjusted gross income.

Hope this helps a little more. I second the suggestion about reviewing the IRS pub on deductions.

You cheap a$$es!

Make sure you bring your good glasses to the audit -and your $5 Timex, you can find out if that is also a deduction..

:( :cool: :D :) :p :eek:

Latest resources

Back