eye surgery question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

moving2vegas

I've done a search already but my question in a little different. My wife (non-pilot) is looking into laser surgery. We've found quite a few doctors, but these prices are crazy. The average seems to be 2 grand per eye and our medical covers very little, maybe 500 if I'm lucky. Anybody know of an affordable laser eye surgon, preferably on the west coast? I know you get what you pay for, but this is boarding on the obsurd. I spoke to one guy who does 400 surgeries a month. That's 1.6 million a month at four grand per surgery. There has got to be a good doc out there that isn't a money whore.

moving2vegas said:
I've done a search already but my question in a little different. My wife (non-pilot) is looking into laser surgery. We've found quite a few doctors, but these prices are crazy. The average seems to be 2 grand per eye and our medical covers very little, maybe 500 if I'm lucky. Anybody know of an affordable laser eye surgon, preferably on the west coast? I know you get what you pay for, but this is boarding on the obsurd. I spoke to one guy who does 400 surgeries a month. That's 1.6 million a month at four grand per surgery. There has got to be a good doc out there that isn't a money whore.

Personally I think I'd save up and pay a little more. Not like you can replace your eyes if something goes wrong. While a lower cost option may be just as good as one that costs more, it may not be, and having them make a mistake isn't really the time to find out. JMO.

moving2vegas said:
I've done a search already but my question in a little different. My wife (non-pilot) is looking into laser surgery. We've found quite a few doctors, but these prices are crazy. The average seems to be 2 grand per eye and our medical covers very little, maybe 500 if I'm lucky.
It's America!!! They can charge as much as they want, and I'm awfully glad it works that way. But you can get a good, safe procedure done for less, I believe. Keep looking and asking around. I had PRK done last spring by a Dr on the outskirts of town (as opposed to the high-dollar ones in the downtown high rises). 20/10 in both eyes and very satisfied. If you've researched, I won't go into what or why I did what I did. You'll want to have a Dr near home since your wife will have to make maybe 6-8 visits. That's my experience, anyway...

Also, unfortunately you may have just missed out on the medical saving thing where you set aside some dedicated amount of pre-tax money for medical and child care expenses. You could save the fed income tax on the amount you planned to spend on the procedure. Check with your HR people on that one.

Latest resources

Back