Extending Daylight Savings Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chperplt

I read an article today where the CEO of AA said that extending DST will cost his company (AA) millions of dollars. He goes on to say that the change will make the slot times that AA has less than appealing to his customers and they will chose a foreign carrier for their travel needs.

Can someone explain to me what the he!! he is talking about?? How will extending DST by 4 weeks make any difference to his customers??

Don't these buffoons in DC have anything better to do instead of trying to conjure up useless legislation that tries to fool people into thinking we have more daylight?? They need to get back to more productive things....like voting on more pay-raises for themselves.....:rolleyes:

chperplt said:
I read an article today where the CEO of AA said that extending DST will cost his company (AA) millions of dollars. He goes on to say that the change will make the slot times that AA has less than appealing to his customers and they will chose a foreign carrier for their travel needs.

Can someone explain to me what the he!! he is talking about?? How will extending DST by 4 weeks make any difference to his customers??

Thats funny. The CEO blams everything else besides the company for them being in the dumps. Thats crazy to say they are going to lose money.

I think the problem comes from international connections. If we change DST, and the Europeans don't, suddenly all the flights that AA had scheduled to be in Europe at a certain time are suddenly there an hour later than they had planned. I guess they think it would make a logistical problem to change the schedules by an hour?

Congress quotes studies that say we'll save 1% more energy each year. However, that study was done in 1970!!!

Icelandair said:
I think the problem comes from international connections. If we change DST, and the Europeans don't, suddenly all the flights that AA had scheduled to be in Europe at a certain time are suddenly there an hour later than they had planned.
Aaannnnndddd, if BA and AA both take off from JFK at the same time, BA will arrive in LHR one hour earlier than AA because Europe doesn't do DST?! Come on, everyone will be on the same clock, ergo, it's a level playing field.

Bring on more DST! I hate standard time. I'm not a morning person, so I don't care too much for that extra hour of daylight in the morning. It really makes a difference to me in the evening, though, especially here in the Pac. NW where it gets dark early in the winter.

LAXSaabdude.

Europe doesn't use the same dates as the US to switch into/out of DST. We go into DST on the 1st Sunday in April and out on the last Sunday in October (currently). I believe England comes out of DST on the 1st Sunday in October (at least that's what they did 15 or so years ago).

If I were king I'd make DST year-round. I really friggin hate coming home from work at an early hour and having it already be dark.. I grew up in Hawai'i and like my light, none of this dark at 5pm crap!

Latest resources

Back