Extending 30-40 degress of flaps while turning on approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ralgha said:
I personally don't buy into the argument against extending flaps while in a turn. The possibility of an asymetrical deployment in a turn is the same as when out of a turn, and if you're in a turn, then there's a 50% chance that being in the bank will actually help you.
However, if you have your mechanic weld them in the up position, you'll have a 100% chance of never having an asymetric flap condition.

I agree with "know your system" before worrying about extending flaps in a turn.

On the high wing Cessna's (152,172) you have one flap motor and a cable lkinkage to actuate. On the Bonanza/Baron, you have one flap motor and flexible drive shafts going out to the wing. In both cases above, you'd have to see some serious problems before an assymetric flap extension developed.

To me, it is one of those little details that people make too much of a deal about. Yelling at someone for extending flaps in a turn but then saying nothing about landing in a hard crab way above target speed doesn't make much sense, and I heard it several times during my training and CFI'ing days.

satpak77 said:
however, to expand on your question, might as well start flying like the professionals, which requires "stabilized approach" to exist prior to landing. According to the FAA, one component of this is to be in (per the POH) "landing configuration). This means no "extend flaps on short base" or similar stuff. I understand you are in a C-150 or C-152, and we can do things in that all day long you would never do in a Falcon 2000, however, might as well get into the habit.

I recommend (per POH) "flaps set", "approach speed/V-ref on target", "belts secured", "landing clearance pending/obtained", "correct runway confirmed", all to be done while you are still at least 2+ miles out for your type of ops.

If I read this correctly, you're advocating extending flaps 40 in a 150, more than 2 miles from the runway and dragging it in from there? If so, I can't agree with that. It may be apropriate for a large jet, but not for a light trainer. Even in the DC-6 we often don't extend landing flaps until about a mile from the runway. Flying like a professional means flying appropriately for the airplane you're flying right now, not the airplane you wish you were in, or the airplane you think you'll be flying 5 years from now.

satpak77 said:
Oh yeah, gear UP once you are off the ground and airborne. Forget VSI-positive rate gibberish. Loose an engine while waiting on VSI and forget the gear and you may never get that magical positive VSI due to the down gear.

GEAR UP once you are airborne flying. You wouldn't be flying if you weren't positive rate.

Right, I thought you were advocating developing good habits. So, tell me, on an RVR 600 takeoff, in an airplane that climbs sluggishly How do you know for sure you're climbing? once you start rotating, what little outside reference you have is probably lost. Not all airplanes leap off the ground in the blink of an eye ... so how do you really tell you are in fact climbing when your last glimpse of the centerline was when the nosewheel lifted off? The fact that you "feel" like you've lifted off? Wouldn't it be a good idea to confirm that feel with an instrument indication? Confirm that you haven't allowed the airplane to settle?

unstable Aviator said:
I f*cking hate eggnog, seriously.

Catbert said:
D*mn right, that stuff is nasty.

Not to mention the posibliity of salmonella from the raw eggs.

Amen ! ! !

A Squared said:
Flying like a professional means flying appropriately for the airplane you're flying right now, not the airplane you wish you were in, or the airplane you think you'll be flying 5 years from now.
I've been hanging out on this forum for a year now and A Squared has just given you guys the single best piece of advice ever given on this forum. Well said A Squared.

'Sled

Know what you're flying, period. Anyone who tells you they have a procedure for flying any plane is full of it!!! I've flown with these guys, and they're full of it!

Lead Sled said:
I've been hanging out on this forum for a year now and A Squared has just given you guys the single best piece of advice ever given on this forum. Well said A Squared.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back