• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Nancy Pryor

Gear bitch
I have a few questions about XJT, hoping someone can help:

Where are recent XJT new hires being based?

How likely is IAH?

If assigned CLE or EWR, how soon can a new
hire escape to IAH?

How commutable are CLE, EWR and IAH from
the west coast?

How long is reserve running these days?

Thanks for all replies.

Last edited:
i was hired almost a year ago and i am just getting a line in IAH. Would have had one along time ago in CLE or EWR. IAH is senior for FOs. Anything is commutable with our reserve system if you know how to use it. Commuting sucks no matter what though so if you live in base QOL goes way up. I have a buddy in training right now and he said they told him that everyone is either going to CLE or EWR. I want to say he said 70% are going to CLE. People are getting base advanced to IAH pretty quick right now but who knows. It only took me 2 1/2 months to get IAH but like i said that was early this year. Good luck

Nancy Pryor said:
I have a few questions about XJT, hoping someone can help:

Where are recent XJT new hires being based?

How likely is IAH?

If assigned CLE or EWR, how soon can a new
hire escape to IAH?

How commutable are CLE, EWR and IAH from
the west coast?

How long is reserve running these days?

Thanks for all replies.

I swear to god I think this entire pilot group wants to be based in IAH (except for me of course).

Why does everyone want to be in that $hit hole?

ATRCA said:
I swear to god I think this entire pilot group wants to be based in IAH (except for me of course).

It's warmer in the winter.
EWR is... well... EWR.
CLE is cold.

ATRCA said:

If IAH is a $hit hole, CLE and EWR are what? Oh wait, I don't even think there is a word in the english language to describe EWR and CLE.

Better was the word you were looking for. Look, face it IAH suxs. I think CLE pretty much suxs to but EWR on the other hand, brings a smile to my face every time.

I don't live in EWR, I'm dumb but not crazy. I will commute forever if I have to, I have no problem with it, have done it since day 1. I just think it's the best base by far from a people standpoint and a few nastalgic reasons.

As you were.

Actually, the people in EWR are...well, nevermind. If I could live about 100 miles from the getto of Newark, then yes, it would easily be the best place. Oh yeah, and of course my salary would have to be about $800, 000 a year to live in a shack. So, because I'm a poor airline pilot, and I choose not to live in the getto, IAH wins. :) And that isn't saying much.

Putting base rivalries aside (I'm EWR-based by choice, because I commute from the East coast), each has its pros and cons. To answer your questions:

1. Out of training you'll get either CLE or EWR (most likely CLE).

2. Every so often, depending on staffing, etc., they put out a system bid where you can bid to switch bases. This is done by seniority. Until recently, they seemed to put one out almost every month, but as movement here starts to slow, I expect to see fewer system bids each year. I think our contract states they have to have two each year, but I'm not sure about that.

3. From the folks I've flown with that commute from the West Coast (I'm assuming San Diego, LAX, SFO, SEA), I've been told IAH is a tough commute. There are quiet a few West Coast pilots based at EWR even though they could hold IAH. There are a lot of senior CAL pilots and FAs that commute to IAH from the West Coast.

4. I would say that this airline is not very convenient for West Coast commuters. This is strictly my personal observation and may not have any merrit. Maybe some of our West Coasters here can pipe up.

5. My guess is that if you get hired today, you'll sit in CLE or EWR for a while.

I'm a west coast commuter to IAH and it can be done. Especially if you know how to be smart about it when need be... everything full? (as is the case a lot)... two leg it.. take us or CAL to PHX, LAS, ect and then SWA or AWA the rest of way. or take the shuttle for $10 to hobby and get on SWA there. but really, only have had to do that a few times a year, i've always got to work and got home without too much stress, after you just realize it's not fun, but it's a lot more fun being in nice weather vs. the sauna of houston.

ATRCA said:

Easier commute from MEM than the other two.

Latest resources

Back