• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ExpressJet growth

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Buckeye70 It was bad enough taking a paycut from being a CFI to be a freight dog. I was very lucky to work at a school that took care of their people and paid appropriately. That new jet smell can't pay the mortgage or help you save for retirement. Money isn't everything......when you have it. I actually filled out the Xjet online app and when I clicked NO on the box that said said:
you said yourself that you initially took a paycut to work as a "frieght puupy"..What do you think captains at the regional level make? You ain't always gonna be a new hire you know!

I've been a freight dog for a year now and have no intention of applying at a regional that pays $17600/year. Are you kidding?
I have agree with Buckeye70. I've been flying freight for almost 2 years and am making a rather good salary and can't afford to apply with one of the lower paying regionals. It has nothing to do with making career sacrifices, or taking 2 steps back to eventually go 3 steps forward, but it has everything to do with ...um, how do I say this.......everything to do with being paid $17-18k/yr! Think outside the Aviation industry, who would take a job, right out of college with a large corporation, making $17-18k a year?? Expressjet seems like a great company. The pay though, has to be embarrasing.

Sam Fisher said:
People take pay cuts all the time to gain further opportunities down the road.

What do you make at your freight outfit per year?

How many days off do you receive?

Can you turn a 7-day vacation period into 24 days off in a row? How many vacation periods do you get?

What kind of 401k match do you receive? At XJT, in your first 5 years, if you put in 6%, the company then puts another 6.5% into your 401k account. After 5 years, it is even more than that.

Do you get LTD that provides 55% of your income, tax free, if something goes wrong medically?

The list goes on....want me to keep going?

Sometimes sacrifices are made on the front end for rewards on the back end. XJT isn't perfect and the first year salary is tough, but all in all, it is a great company to work for. It will be even better when we ratify our new contract here soon.

Sam
I would have to agree on this. The salaries at ExpressJet may be ridiculously low, but one has to keep in mind that it is a stepping stone towards a better career. By no means am I justifying the fact that EJ underpays their pilots, but for someone to completely close their mind to what could be a potentially prosperous airline career because of having to put up with a regional airline salary for a few years is a bit silly. Best of luck to the XJT pilots on the contract negotiations...you guys deserve better.

SkyBoy1981 said:
The salaries at ExpressJet may be ridiculously low, but one has to keep in mind that it is a stepping stone towards a better career.

Pre 9/11, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but that's hardly the case now. For some, this is their better career.

Sphincter Boy said:
Pre 9/11, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but that's hardly the case now. For some, this is their better career.
Since 9/11 regional airlines have become much bigger stones, maybe more like giant boulders, that take much longer to get across...but nevertheless, I wouldn't consider them a long term career. This industry has always had its ups and downs, right now..its down. Saying that working for a regional airline is now a long-term career that you will do for 20 or more years just isn't very realistic. The airline industry will eventually revive, just as it always has. I'm not trying to be overly optomistic, just remembering history and the fact that the airline industry has, and always will be, a neverending roller coaster ride. I do believe strongly, however, that because pilots are having to spend longer times at regional airlines prior to progressing with their career, that they should be paid a reasonable salary for it.

AZaviator said:
The pay though, has to be embarrasing.
ITs all relative... ask some of the "senior" guys at XJT, what they started out making...

I"ll bet is was lower than 17600...

Last edited:
Floyd94 said:
ITs all relative... ask some of the "senior" guys at XJT, what they started out making...

I"ll bet is was lower than 17600...
They also upgraded in 6 months, and obtained a CAL seniority number in 4 years. Big difference. Like you say, it's all realitive. Today, you're realitively fu<ked at the regionals, with no upgrade you have no options. Not to mention no substantial raise.

The pay could be better. I think we all agree on that. However, most of the people that aren't happy at Express weren't sent to the street in '01. I flew on the pager for 27 months during furlough. Took a huge paycut to come back. But having a schedule makes XJT a pretty sweet deal in my opinion. But keep in mind, I don't want to work for peanuts for the rest of my life. "SHOW ME THE MONEY"

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back