Expressjet-EWR Vs. Colgan Q's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MalmsteenFan

I want to hear it from Expressjet folks, what do you all think of our pending arrival at Newark? Yes I know we will be operating a larger aircraft on your routes for less pay.

I want to hear it from Expressjet folks, what do you all think of our pending arrival at Newark? Yes I know we will be operating a larger aircraft on your routes for less pay.

It's a business decision, period. Does it suck that CAL wants to replace some of our routes with another carrier? Sure, it blows. We are just labor. XJET has other irons in the fire (obviously), but is sucks for the EWR crews who are going to see a draw down in their flying. It's no secret the Q400 is cheaper to operate than a 50 seat jet, labor expenses aside. And on the shorter leg lengths the slower speed isn't even going to matter.

The question I have is this. How are they going to park them? The foot print of that thing on the ramp is just a little shy of the small 737's.

Q400 operating cost are the same as a 50 seat RJ unless the leg lengths are over 300NM. The fuel burns are almost identical below that!
As for crew cost......

Q400 operating cost are the same as a 50 seat RJ unless the leg lengths are over 300NM. The fuel burns are almost identical below that!
As for crew cost......

Depending on whose info/statistics you believe. And if the fuel burns are the same, the Q400 is carrying 20 more seats of revenue.

We're not worried. We have the best product on the market. Our management team is THE best in the business. You'll see.

Did I miss anything XJTrs?

.......The question I have is this. How are they going to park them? The foot print of that thing on the ramp is just a little shy of the small 737's.

That's one of the many reasons we'll never see them on the USAir side - unless we went somewhere else besides LGA.

I can see it being used in PIT, after all it's not like ramp space is at a premium there! Heck, they might even open up the "E" gates just for the "Q". All kidding aside I think it sucks that XJT is loosing some flying. The regionals are even trying to steal pilots from one another (AE and RHA incentive programs). Comair guys took it in the shorts too with alot of their flying being farmed out to other "cheaper" regionals. Where is it all going to end? Hopefully, not in a smoking hole after a needless accident.

Have at it my friend. I have no heartburn about this. I flew the ATR for some time in EWR and props are the way to go up there. You Colgan guys are due some good news and I hope it all works out for you. You guys have been flying for CAL for some time now and you will finally reap some reward.

If you are allowed to do the VFR stuff we used to do in the props it will be some of the best times you will have in an airplane. Good luck!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back