ExpressJet Charter Operations - Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

On Your Six

I recently saw an ExpressJet E145XR operating out of Teterboro and I heard one flying into HPN who indicated he was a charter flight. So, I have some questions:

1. How many E145s are dedicated to charter ops?

2. Is this a popular (i.e., senior) assignment for ExpressJet pilots?

3. Are the charter pilots based out of a particular domicile?

4. Does the schedule tend to differ from normal regional ops?

5. Can ExpressJet pilots easily bid from regional ops to charter ops and back or is there a minimum time commitment?

Sounds like it could be an interesting break for reality for pilots so long as you can get decent hours. At least you would get some nice route variety. I would think many college sports teams and Nascar teams would be interested in this type of lift.

I think they might be a little out of their element as I witnessed a crew in Cabo strand their passangers for at least three hours as the figured out how to deal with customs and the paperwork.

I recently saw an ExpressJet E145XR operating out of Teterboro and I heard one flying into HPN who indicated he was a charter flight. So, I have some questions:

5. Can ExpressJet pilots easily bid from regional ops to charter ops and back or is there a minimum time commitment?

Sounds like it could be an interesting break for reality for pilots so long as you can get decent hours. At least you would get some nice route variety. I would think many college sports teams and Nascar teams would be interested in this type of lift.

1) Somewhere around 40 aircraft are dedicated to charter op's

2) Full time charter pilots are somewhere in the top 50-100 seniority for both ca's and fo's. Charter flying comes with an $18.00/hour pay override and a 90 hour/mo guarantee so it is pretty popular.

3) Charter pilots are home based

4) Due to the nature of the charter business, charter pilots bid on schedules that have blocks of days available (similar to reserve days).

5) Pilots in the charter department if their seniority can hold them a full time charter line bid for charter in 6 mo increments. They can return to line flying under approval of the company or for the purposes of bidding in their vacation month(s). The number of full time charter flying lines vary by anticipated need month to month.

All in all Charter op's are a very senior, very popular thing for XJT pilots. There are multiple types of customers that seem to enjoy the benifit of a 40-50 seat aircraft. NASCAR, NCAA, and some other organizations that need to move a medium sized group have used XJT charter, but in general the company doesn't usually talk about it's charter customers specifically. The EMB-145 is sort of a niche product in the charter world, smaller than the typical dc-9, 737, 727 that are available, but bigger than the DO-jet/props that are out there and the other regional turboprops.

I think they might be a little out of their element as I witnessed a crew in Cabo strand their passangers for at least three hours as the figured out how to deal with customs and the paperwork.

Yeah, were way out of our element! D!CK
I've worked charter for other companies and witnessed snafu's for some of the, (prestigious), companies out there.

A little competition out there makes the charter industry healthy!
While leach type companies, i.e. net jets and citation shares ride on the backs of airlines for their a.t.c. services.
I hope this changes soon so jerks like you get the opportunity to sample the real world.

Yeah we've NEVER dealt with international ops! jerk off!

While leach type companies, i.e. net jets and citation shares ride on the backs of airlines for their a.t.c. services.

Don't mind him he's just mentally retarded..The shrink let him play on the computer again....

I'm guessing the success that Netjets has had is NOT the result of us piggybacking 121 carriers...And in case you haven't figured it out yet..Netjets doesn't charter for college teams or Nascar.. We provide services for the guys that are way beyond college and have way too much money to burn. I'm guessing that Santulli has no idea who expressjet charter is, or even cares for that matter.

So you f.ucked up in cabo once or twice, someone made fun of you, and now your crying.. grow up a bit kid.:bawling:

All Im saying is she didnt know what forms to fill out who to talk to and how to pay for the gas. If I remember correctly you guys aren't used to getting out of the cockpit so it is understandable. Luckily the line guys knew how to open the luggage hatch. By the way what was your bill last month for ATC services? I know mine I have to pay it. Next time Im in Europe Ill let you know what I paid for those too. FYI Im in the real world....the real awesome world!

Last edited:
loser

Next time Im in Europe Ill let you know what I paid for those too. FYI Im in the real world....the real awesome world!

the real awesome world.......of slinging bags:p

Yeah me too D0chebag, non rev-ing to the Ukraine. How about you? oh that's right can't do that, or jump seat on me ever again!:uzi:

Been answered

Pretty senior in both seats. CA's have to interview for it, FO's don't.

Been answered

Been answered, sort of. 14 days off a month and bid for days on/days off. Not uncommon for a lot of these guys to work on days off and have their days shifted around. It's very fluid.

Been answered.

2) Full time charter pilots are somewhere in the top 50-100 seniority for both ca's and fo's. Charter flying comes with an $18.00/hour pay override and a 90 hour/mo guarantee so it is pretty popular.

Not lately, it's only about the most senior 15-20 that are "full time". The others bounce back and forth with ZERO regard to seniority. Quite the goat rope.

5) Pilots in the charter department if their seniority can hold them a full time charter line bid for charter in 6 mo increments.

Not true, that's a whole other goat rope unto itself.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back