ExpressJet ATL Long Call Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SpaceShipEarth

If any of you have recent experience on Long Call on the CR7 in ATL can you tell me how easy or difficult it is to assume that since on the first day available after your OFF/GDO days the earliest report time would be 12pm that you can just stay home one more night and wait to get an actual report time before you try to commute in on day 1?

I know that you can get called at 7pm for a 7am show of course so I am only talking about the first day on call after your OFF days where they can not call you until midnight for a noon show... So, instead of flying in the evening of your last day off can you wait and come in the morning of your first day back on call?

Is there much risk in this?

Thanks... never held long call before, so...

Depending on where you commute from, you should have no problem commuting in on a morning flight.

They tough spot is that 6pm call for the 6am duty-in and there are no flights left to ATL that night.

Yea I figured that so I would def get in on day 1 at some point but for that morning after an off day it should be fine... my real question though is wether you would be covered under the commuter clause IF you couldn't get in AFTER being notified but before your report time???

Ex: You list on a 9am flight for monday and you do this sunday morning... at 12:30am monday morning they call you in for 1pm show... no problem you have a flight listed. BUT flight cancels and spills over and you can't get in. Are you covered?

I would think so. By that point, you might even have two flights available, which means you don't burn a commuter clause on it. This is assuming you live in a city with some frequency of flights to ATL. Just make sure you email yourself a copy of the flight availability from Travelnet to show there were seats available.

Yea I figured that so I would def get in on day 1 at some point but for that morning after an off day it should be fine... my real question though is wether you would be covered under the commuter clause IF you couldn't get in AFTER being notified but before your report time???

Ex: You list on a 9am flight for monday and you do this sunday morning... at 12:30am monday morning they call you in for 1pm show... no problem you have a flight listed. BUT flight cancels and spills over and you can't get in. Are you covered?

Some brief points:

-This is a joint MOU: CRJ MOU 75 and ERJ MOU 20. These are available on the member's only side of the Association's website. Barring that, call the office during the week and someone can walk you through the details.
-This is one example of the merger process, despite constant internal and external challenges, working for the pilots.
-The new joint Commuter Policy is a significant improvement over the existing CRJ Contract 2007 Commuter Policy.

In your example, e.g., using a single flight to satisfy the requirements of the commuter policy, you must have a flight in which there is a seat for sale to the general public at least 36 hour prior to, but less than 24 hours prior to, the scheduled departure time of the flight you had intended to use to commute to work. If you elect to only rely on the one flight portion of the Commuter Policy, you are only eligible to use the policy to avoid discipline three times in a rolling 12 month period. If you are forced to use the one flight provision more than three times in a rolling twelve month period, you will be subject to occurrences and/or discipline. However, after your third use of the single flight portion of the policy, you are specifically still eligible to use the two flight portion of the Commuter Policy to preclude occurrences and/or discipline.

MOU 20/75 A.8.b addresses the use of the policy for Long-Call Reserve pilots. Specifically, you can use the policy as a LCR to position yourself in advance of the assignment, or, in advance of the reserve period.

Two important points:

-You must specifically mention that you are invoking the Commuter Policy during your conversation with Scheduling. You can not assume that since the topic of conversation with the scheduler on the other end of the phone is about missing an assignment due to commuting issues that you will be covered under the policy.
-You will generally be asked to provide documentation to verify the availability of seats for sale to the public or an available jumpseat. A screenshot saved to your computer works well here.

In short, yes.

Last edited:
Just keep in mind they will convert you to short call the maximum number of times that they can, very possibly (most likely?) on the first and last days of your bucket. Good luck.

but they can not convert you to short call until 12pm at the earliest on day 1 right?

Only if they haven't notified you prior to your days off. They could let you know on the first day of the month that all of your first days on following off days during the month will be short call, meaning that you will have to commute in during your off days! So much for the benefits of long-call, if you're a commuter.

I understand the reasoning behind making the last day of your bucket be a short call day (at least for the first 12 hours), otherwise it practically becomes an off day. But in my opinion they shouldn't be allowed to convert that first day to short call, because that was the whole reason commuters wanted long call--so they wouldn't have to come to ATL and sit, they could sit at home. Just one of the many changes we need for our reserve system this contract.

Latest resources

Back