ExpressJET and cashflow issues..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

erikgigem

Blog Story today on Portfolio.com. Discusses ExpressJet having cash-flow issues like Frontier Airlines did with their credit-card company. :( Discuss.

SOURCE: Portfolio.com
ARTICLE: "ExpressJet: Probably Toast"
http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/market-movers/2008/05/07/expressjet-probably-toast

Most of the time I have relatively little sympathy for troubled companies. But sometimes they just seem to run into so many body blows simultaneously that you've just got to wince a little. And ExpressJet is one of those cases.

Yes, ExpressJet is suffering from high oil prices, as all airlines are. But it is also suffering from something entirely unrelated: the seizing-up of the auction-rate security market, where it parked $65 million of much needed cash. That cash is now unavailable, and ExpressJet has taken an $8.7 million charge against that money - valuing the "cash-like" auction-rate securities at less than 87 cents on the dollar.

Oh, and we're not done yet. Remember how Frontier Airlines was forced to declare bankruptcy after its credit card company imposed a "holdback" of 50% of all credit-card sales? Well, ExpressJet's credit card company imposed a 50% holdback on December 31 - and then increased the holdback to 100% at the end of March! (The details on the holdbacks come from an Aviation Week story which isn't online but which was sent to me by Joe Brancatelli.)

Basically, ExpressJet has precious little cash coming in, because its credit card company insists on holding it all until the passengers have actually flown. And it can't use a large chunk the "cash" it has lying around, because most of that is tied up in illiquid auction-rate securities. All while oil prices continue to hit new highs.

ExpressJet recently rejected a takeover bid from SkyWest. If I was SkyWest, I might just think about buying up a large chunk of ExpressJet debt on the cheap right now, in the expectation that I could convert it into equity come the inevitable bankruptcy. After all, has any airline ever recovered without declaring bankruptcy from a situation where it was operating under 100% holdbacks?

On the other hand, ExpressJet's stock is still trading at the non-negligible level of $3 a share, which gives it a market cap of over $150 million. And it's actually up substantially over the past month. After all, it's clearly a takeover candidate, and there's got to be a chance that shareholders will receive something, even if it does declare bankruptcy.

I can't count how many times I've stated this in the past. That while XJT has "money" it's tied up. Then the usual pilots yelling at me telling me I didn't know what I was talking about. I didn't want to be right. Sadly outside of contracts I don't see any reason SKYW would want XJT. High operating cost group with no equity. If they do there would be some furloughs. If they don't then I expect XJT's hard headed management to drive them into the ground. They should have cut the 69 planes to begin with and stayed a healthy company. Maybe not the most favorable of choices but sometimes you have to take the leg to save the body.

Since your a poster on flightinfo.com then I'm sure you know everything behind the scenes.

Yes I know the company is tanking. Their creditors even believe so. Look back around a year and look at what I said would happen. Look where they are sitting today. It's not that I have any behind the scenes info. It's that I can read a cash flow statement and look at things objectively. I'll say it now. Furloughs in 6months. I hope I'm wrong I do. Losing about 10.5mil a month in cash with no equity to borrow against hurts. I am privy to the same information the person writing this article is or any other financial analyst. Nothing people here aren't able to look at. They just don't. Look at their SEC 10K then come back here and tell me I'm wrong.

I still can't fathom why they leased their aircraft. Makes no sense. Especially for the price they paid. If they go CH11 they can't refinance their planes because they weren't financing them to start with. Both DAL and NWA managed to save themsevles because of BK. DAL has 757s flying around for XJTs RJ rates. UAL didn't do this and look at the world of hurt it layed on them with over a 500mil loss.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back