Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AV1ATRX

That is all.
I recently was asked about foreign pilot certification and am unsure what the answer is to the question. The person has an expired ICAO license and wants to get flying here. I've read all the information over at www.faa.gov about foreign pilot certification and looked in the regs, but am unsure what they will have to do to get certified. The way I understand it is that because it's expired, they can't get a US certificate issued based on the foreign license. In this case they will have to do the training required in FAR 61 for student and private pilots, including the knowledge test and practical test. Does their previous training and flight time count towards the training time required by part 61 (solo, etc.)? I've had an Inspector tell me that it does, so I'm pretty sure all they would have do is the required manuevers training and checkride preparation.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me. This is my first experience with a foreign pilot, so please excuse my ignorance.

61.41 gives blessing to training received from an ICAO authorized instructor.

You have the 3 hours in 60 days as required by 61.39 and 61.109(a)(4) on top of anything that you deem necessary as the student's primary instructor.

You endorse three things via 61.39.
- training for the practical within 60 days
- the student is prepared
- you have reviewed any items missed in the knowledge test.

PS. 61.75 is based on a "current" foreign license. Expired won't cut it.

PPS. You must ensure that all requirements are met for Private Pilot - check solo, X-C, night, IFR, tower controlled, etc, etc.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the reply.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back