Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Yankee301

Boss
I had a guy walk in the FBO, and start asking about reinstating his expired flight instructor certificates. I know that he has to do the practical test again, and he can also do it with a designated examiner who is rated for that. My question is, if he was a CFI/CFII/MEI does he have to do separate reinstatements for every instructor rating? Would a CFII ride count for CFI and CFII. I would appreciate any input.

Yankee301 said:
I had a guy walk in the FBO, and start asking about reinstating his expired flight instructor certificates. I know that he has to do the practical test again, and he can also do it with a designated examiner who is rated for that. My question is, if he was a CFI/CFII/MEI does he have to do separate reinstatements for every instructor rating? Would a CFII ride count for CFI and CFII. I would appreciate any input.

I THINK one ride will reinstate all of his Flight Instructor Certificates....

He can also do an add-on instructor rating (ex: seaplane, glider, etc.) which will reinstate all of them.

CFI reinstatement

All that has to be done is to take an oral and a flight in any aircraft in which the expired CFI is rated. In other words, an airworthy simple single-engine airplane is the minimum aircraft needed for an airplane instructor. If he is also a rotorcraft instructor, the airplane ride will reinstate his rotorcraft instructor privileges.

He can add on a category or class rating and that reinstates his complete CFI certificate.

Hope that helps. Good luck to your customer.

Yankee301-

I don't know if this is still possible but it could be an option. My CFI certificate expired about 7 years ago. Just plain stupidity on my part. I went to take a type ride for a 121 carrier and asked the FAA examiner if there was anything I could do about my experied CFI. The examiner had me send her an application and I received my temporary certificate in the mail a few days later.

I don't think I could pass the CFI ride again. I've been doing the weekend classes since but may try the on-line course and see how it works out. I don't plan on using my CFI certificate but just want to keep it current.

sayagain?

CFI reinstatement

Sayagain has an excellent idea. That is a very common way for 121 and 135 people with CFIs to remain in license. Of course, it's all up to the fed. Apparently the fed in his case consider the type ride as sufficient evidence that he could excercise privileges as a CFI.

Let's say a fed accompanies you on a line check. If you have an 8710 prepared and approach the ASI respectfully and ask if he/she can renew your certificate, chances are the person will do it.

Surprisingly, the FAA is there to help, sometimes. Good luck with your customer's reinistatement.

I'm also working with a corporate guy who wants to renew his CFII ticket. My boss, who also happens to be a DE, has told me that it is the norm (at least in our FSDO) for them to take their CFII reinstatement ride and for that to count for their CFI ticket as well. We've worked on right-side stuff on the first flight, and am now working on the instrument stuff. It's amazing - this guy has 3,000 times the flight time that I have, yet had trouble explaining to me how to do compass turns during a partial-panel NDB approach. I love it!!! More importantly, I love the fact that both times he's left me he's extremely appreciative of my efforts and actually seems like he learned something "new" from me. It's all a matter of pulling all that old information out of the back of his brain.

-Airnik

You know...I did the same dumb thing about eight years ago (let the CFIIME expire) and have regretted it ever since. A few years ago I called the DE who gave me the CFII, CFIME and ATP rides. She told me that I only needed to take a CFI practical test in a light trainer, say a 152 for example, to re-instate my CFI privileges. I had planned to ask her to give me the checkride but, unfortunately, she passed away from cancer before I could ask her. :(

Airnik, I'll tell you what...I used to be able to explain and teach compass turns to a monkey when I was a CFI (I had a great time being a CFI by the way). But that was over eleven years ago and many thousands of hours of flying dual FMS equipped jet aircraft with all-glass capabilities. Triple everything. I'll confess to you that without practice I could not do a compass turn to save my bacon let alone TEACH a compass turn at this stage in my career. :confused: Skills not used in aviation are lost fairly quickly. However, like you said, it would simply be a matter of reacquainting myself with the concept (and others not used in a while, like Chandelles) and practicing again - pulling it out of the back of my brain, as you said.

Cheers! :D

Latest resources

Back