Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Iflyamouse

Is it time for lunch yet?
The FAA just granted a waiver to allow FO ATP applicants to use an expired ATP written exam.

Regulatory Docket No. FAA-2012-0506

The FAA’s Decision​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
In consideration of the foregoing, I find that a grant of exemption would be in the public interest.

Therefore, pursuant to the authority contained in 49 U.S.C. §§ 40113 and 44701, delegated to me by the Administrator, Regional Airline Association is granted an exemption from §§ 61.39(a)(1) and (b(1)(i) and 61.157(b) and (c) to the extent necessary to allow an SIC to use an expired knowledge test when applying for the practical test for an ATP certificate or a type rating completed concurrently with an ATP certificate after successful completion of an approved part 121 SIC training program. The exemption would also allow completion of a part 121 air carrier's approved SIC qualification training program to satisfy the training and endorsement requirements in § 61.157(b), subject to the following conditions and limitations.​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Conditions and Limitations​
  1. [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]SICs must meet the eligibility requirements for ATP certification in § 61.153, the applicable flight proficiency requirements in § 61.157, and the aeronautical experience requirements in § 61.159.
2. SICs must successfully pass a proficiency check conducted by an Aircrew Program Designee for the air carrier, a Training Center Evaluator authorized to conduct ATP certification for the air carrier through a check pilot authorization, or an FAA inspector in accordance with the provisions of [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]§ [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]61.157(f) and § 61.71(b). Under an Advanced Qualification Program (AQP), SICs must meet the certification requirements identified in § 121.919 as approved within the specific air carrier's AQP. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
3. The approved SIC training program must include training on any tasks and maneuvers required for ATP certification for which the SIC has not previously received flight training in new hire, initial, transition, or recurrent training, or, under AQP, Indoctrination, Qualification, or Continuing Qualification.

This exemption terminates on June 30, 2014, unless sooner superseded or rescinded.​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Common sense actually prevailed. Mine expires at the end of July and I'm glad I don't have to memorize the 727 weight and balance answers again.

Unless the FAA comes out with a waiver, anyone who is not 23 by next August will not be allowed to act as a flight crewmember (PIC/SIC) in a Part 121 operation.

??? If you are employed by a 121 carrier, your ATP written has never expired.

Prior to this waiver, that was only true if you were going through an upgrade program. (FAR 61.39 b).

For all the FOs that need to get an ATP, they won't be going through an upgrade program to get it. Some airlines told their FOs to take the ATP w again if it was more than 2 years old. You don't need to waste your money now because your written is still valid.

Latest resources

Back