Exhaust Gases overwhelming me

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dhc8fo

Sorry, didn't know where to ask this....

I flew a jump plane today with a PT-6 up front in your face, and I am curious if anyone who has flown something like this was overwhelmed by the exhaust smell in the cockpit. I am historically sensitive to this smell, but man. I searched all over the net and can't find anything or anyone complaining about it. The plane is a Pac 750xl.

In my mind I am thinking that this can't be good for me. That and the high altitude with no O2 (although for brief periods only).

I may stick a little carbon detector in there next time I fly, but I feel a little like I am being a puss.

Your thoughts?

I've got a lot of hours in single engine turbine airplanes, sitting directly behind the exhaust in Garrett and Pratt powered equipment. If you're more comfortable putting a CO detector in the airplane, do so. Forget what others think.

You shouldn't be getting a lot of exhaust in the cockpit. You may smell the exhaust, but that's part of being around aircraft.

You may not have thought of this, but if you smelled the exhaust in piston aircraft, you weren't getting CO, but leaded products, too.

If you smell it sitting on the ground at idle, stop by the local fire department and ask them to bring their gas meter to the airport to check it out for you if they aren't busy. It will read hydrogen sulfide, oxygen, carbon monoxide and the percentage toward the lower explosive limit of other gases. If they dont have a 4 gas, they should have at least a CO/O2 monitor that will work just as well.

He must be talking on the ground. A turbine engine will suck it's own exhaust at idle if there is about a 10 knot or greater tailwind. That exhaust is then sent into the cabin by the bleed air system.

In a single engine airplane, on is directly behind the exhaust...and being able to smell it in the cockpit (depending on the aircraft) isn't unusual. This is common in the ag aircraft I've flown, and in jump operations in airplanes like the Caravan, when the doors are off or open.

Yea, sorry, I meant that I get the exhaust smell while on the ground.

I understand why, just was wondering if anyone was aware of any CO2 issues in that configuration. I have no other experience in a single-engine turbine, just multi. I have never experienced this on anything else, piston or otherwise.

Thanks guys. I will probably slap up a CO2 sticky and just see what happens. They can pick on me all they want :)

No disrespect intended...

Overwhelming exhaust gasses...sounds like you've been hanging out in the NA Chat section!

:laugh:

A CO detector might not be a bad idea for a test. I'd try to park nose into the wind too so that you have that influence carrying the gasses away during start. It's not uncommon even on large pressurized airplanes to pick up the essence of partially combusted kerosene during startup, particularly with a tailwind.

Turbines produce very little CO. That is not likely a threat. Naturally, there are other toxic gasses emitted, but CO poisoning is not going to happen.

Latest resources

Back