Exceptional Men and Women

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
from wikipedia.org

Owing to the skill of the crew and a DC-10 instructor pilot, 175 passengers and 10 crew members survived the crash. The disaster is famous within the aviation community as a textbook example of successful Crew Resource Management, due to the effective use of all the resources available aboard the plane for help during the emergency

Let's not forget the unusual circumstances of this particular crew.

This being US AIR (east) it was a VERY experienced pairing of CA an FO.

The First Officer is a 23 year veteran of US AIR. He could have and should have been holding a Captain slot long ago...

Essentially two very experienced Captains were on board that day, one with Air Force fighter pilot training and a glider rating.

Now on the other hand had this been an inexperienced Captain pairing with an inexperienced FO we are looking at a totally different outcome.

If you don't think so...let's look at the Pinnacle power loss accident.

Last edited:
Let's not forget the unusual circumstances of this particular crew.

This being US AIR (east) it was a VERY experienced pairing of CA an FO.

The First Officer is a 23 year veteran of US AIR. He could have and should have been holding a Captain slot long ago...

Essentially two very experienced Captains were on board that day, one with Air Force fighter pilot training and a glider rating.

Now on the other hand had this been an inexperienced Captain pairing with an inexperienced FO we are looking at a totally different outcome.

If you don't think so...let's look at the Pinnacle power loss accident.

Sorry......I disagree. I believe most crews would use their training and do a relatively good job in this circumstance. i take nothing away from the exceptional performance of this flight crew, but it's not like other pilots would have rolled over and pulled.

Sorry......I disagree. I believe most crews would use their training and do a relatively good job in this circumstance. i take nothing away from the exceptional performance of this flight crew, but it's not like other pilots would have rolled over and pulled.

WRONG.

The PCL crew was not professional by ANY measure. THAT is what led to their demise and a company hull loss, not to mention the ill reputation presented of pilots. After both engines core-locked, they had plenty of options but all of them quickly dried up due to their unprofessionalism in handling that royal blunder of theirs. The safe outcome of their flight was possible had it been handled honestly. Most of all though, they shouldn't have been there in the first place. Sad they took that young FO with him too. He clearly didn't know any better.

Aside from all of this, the PCL crew and especially the Captain, had a very poor training history. Multiple failures for the basic FAA certifications as well as SIC/PIC/TYPE failures at multiple carriers.

I agree with this. The crew did a fantastic job, but I believe (maybe too optimistically) that most professional flight crews would have done a good job.

I remember hearing a commentator say that the Captain's glider experience saved the day. I know glider training is a great tool to have in the toolbox but c'mon. Now if the crew had caught a thermal and extended the glide 50 miles, that would be a different story.:D

Latest resources

Back