• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ex-Top Gun pilot forgets landing gear

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HAHA.....Huggy thats funny you say that. I saw an L39 belly land in RFD a year and half ago. Guy did the same thing just "forgot." Hes now known as slider to us. Lucky for him he only had to replace the front landing gear door, speed brakes, flaps and a few GPS antenna's.

Huggyu2 said:
There are a lot of Navy pilots on another forum that know this guy. Not one of them has any sympathy for him.

I've hung out with him before. He deserves it. I feel sorry for the F-86 to have to be flown by such a total doosh-bag.

He got busted at Oshkosh a few years back. Set back lines really didn't mean anything to him. Blew right over the crowd in his pass with the corsair. The FAA had enough.

Huggyu2 said:
There are a lot of Navy pilots on another forum that know this guy. Not one of them has any sympathy for him.
As long as there are pilots and airplanes that fly over water, US Navy Mobile Diving and Salvage Units One and Two will have a mission.

OldPilot said:
Long history as a "Teflon Don" in Naval Aviation, but a good stick nonetheless.
And an awesome officer to work for. He took care of his guys and watched their backs. Best boss I ever had.

What happened to his flow and checklist? Something for all of us who sometimes get complacent in an airplane to think about!!!

satpak77 said:
not "IF" but "WHEN"

Thats ignorant. That's like saying, "It's not IF a doctor will one day amputate the wrong, it's WHEN." I'm not the best pilot in the world and am not free of mistakes by any strech of the imagination, but I hope and pray it (forget to extend landing gear) will never happen to me.

I met the guy and delt with him in the general aviation world some years back. I found him to be a courteous and likeable individual. His background is impressive by any standard. Its amazing how pilots with an inferiority complex are so quick to take a stab at him.

Sure the accident "shouldn't" have happened, but I have looked at many accidents over the years and believe me, it can and sometimes does happen even to the best. He certainly didn't acquire more flight time in F14s than anyone else and command the entire fleet just because he was lucky.

Come on guys and gals, build your own Resume, don't begrudge someone else's.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back