Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chawbein

After SUPT

I was recently asked some questions about the Reserves (Post SUPT) and I didn't know the answers. Can someone fill me in?

1. How does one support themselves and family (if applicable) when one finishes UPT? Do you just try your best to find a job where you can leave for days at a time with no recourse?

2. When you graduate SUPT and it's time to move back to your hiring unit (or whereever), do you get reimbursed for the move or are you S.O.L.?

I'm actually curious about the whole process of what happens after SUPT and how one manages to continue putting food on the table. What happens to your spouse?

chawbein said:
What happens to your spouse?
Don't worry. You get to keep her. :)

I was waitin' for a comment like that! I thought it might be a little more risque though.;)

Reserve life post UPT

There are a few ways to support yourself (and family) as a reservist post UPT. It's dependent on your career goals, do you want to fly your butt off or have a steady paycheck. I suggest the former.

1) Your unit might put you on some kind of progression tour (basically active duty orders) to season you out of UPT. 3-12 Months, it depends on the financial position of your unit.

2) The Bum- a professional reservist. You survive here by taking every trip and crap deal/ additional duty you can possibly stand. This is a great lifestyle provided your unit is not overflowing with other bums. You work when you want and play when you want. It might be hard to support a family on LT pay as a bum. There are plenty of ways to get paid-RPA days, MPA days, Annual Tour, AFTP's, UTA's, RMP's, etc.

3) Baby ART/ Palace Acquire position- Baby Art is a 3 year slot and PAQ is 2 year. This is a way to get your foot in the door as an ART (air reserve tech). You start as a GS 9, step up to an 11 and eventually a 12. 12 is good money because you hit the bonus. Once you reach the end of the position they place you in a full time slot. These positions (Baby art/ PAQ) exist in AFRC; you’ve got to find them. It takes a little leg work but it’s worth it. My unit has had a total of 2 baby ARTS and 2 PAQ in the last 4 years because no other unit was using the slots and we did the required leg work to get them.

I did a 12 Month prog tour, baby art slot and now I'm a full-time ART.

It worked out for me. Get back to your unit and see what they'll work for you. You're pretty useless right out of UPT, you need seasoning. Don't make a decision until you check with your unit. Like everything, it’s all about your timing.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back