• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ever wondered about banner towing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow. Looks like some others are posting their vids. This is my friend M.H. picking up at High Exposure outside of Atlantic city:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUebqVmJ72o&mode=related&search=
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YyMH167rPw&mode=related&search=

And this is one of Van Wagner planes. I recognize the banner. I flew along side it all summer. Probably "Lucky" or "Ramsey" picking it up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NFci4qefjs&mode=related&search=

BTW, all of these PA-18's have 180 horses. Now that's a SUPER cub!

Last edited:
Would someone teach that guy how to prop an airplane before he loses his head?

McJohn, what do you prefer, banner towing or instructing?

I'd much rather fly myself than watch over a student most of the time. I am a jealous instructor and get tired of sitting idle and only speaking while they do all the flying. I had an intructor once who was the same way but he wanted to work on his skills and have fun on my time and money and that pissed me off. I'd never do that to my students. Consider that instructing is safer than banner towing and it keeps you on the radio and in the system. Banner towing is more on the fringe. You get a waiver from the FAA that allows you to fly dangerously low. You try to stick with as much class G as possible and rarely use the radio. You never climb above 1000'. Also consider that instructing is so admired on resumes because it proves to the employer that your skills go way beyond just flying. But, I hate to say it......instructing sucks. It absolutely positively sucks for one simple reason. You don't get to fly if you have advanced students working toward their private or instrument ratings. Instructing at a huge place where you have many commercial and pre-solo students would be a different story and probably a little more enjoyable. I'm glad I have my CFI and I have learned tons instructing. You'll hear many proclaim there passionate love for instructing. And it's just that. A love for teaching. I'm a little more passionate about the flying.

Consider that instructing is safer than banner towing ...

It is? Banner towing isn't safe??

You get a waiver from the FAA that allows you to fly dangerously low.

If this is occuring, you're doing it wrong. What is "dangerously low?" Banner towing is as benign, quiet, and inherently boring as you can possibly get in a flying job, especially in a flying job involving light airplanes. It's supposed to be that way. It's about as safe as you can get, if you're doing it properly.

If you're not practicing risk-elimination, then you're doing it wrong, and all bets are off.

dont go to paramount. they kill a pilot every year. fly something powerful like a pawnee so you arent picking banners up and the banner wins

Latest resources

Back