Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ever known a pilot that has going through drug/alcohol rehab?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow . . . . hard to believe that anyone could actually show up at a Training Center in that kind of condition. Sounds like the IP did him a hell of a favor calling ALPA and not the Company.

It sounds like in the end, it worked out the way it was supposed to. . . . I have to wonder, though, if he showed uplike that in the Sim, how was he showing up on the Line . . .. ?

a favor?

It's a great thing that we look out for each other in this career-- even when our own judgment and attitudes are failing us. Maybe not most=- but so many good people will have some period of time in their career that is really rough- stemming from all kinds of issues be it divorce, medical/cancer/heart, etc, alcohol/drugs- life happens- and these programs have helped save the career of a whole lot of good people.

Be strong- it's not acceptable- but use the resources available and get people help.

Ever known a pilot that has going through drug/alcohol rehab? Curious how common this is in this industry. Did they get their medicals back? How long? Or just like like a phine on their medical apps.
I didn't understand the last sentence at all.

I've known two who have been to rehab, one for alcohol, one for prescription pain meds (Hydrocodone).

Pilots have a relatively high incidence of substance abuse as compared to other professional fields, but not as high as attorneys and physicians. Many of them don't take anything at work, but are blitzed within minutes of leaving the aircraft, keep personal bottles/pills stashed in their bags, and often don't socialize with the crew because they know they're going to get hammered.

As far as information specific on returning to the line, it's a pretty in-depth process, especially if you go through your HIMS personnel. If you take yourself out of flying and go out on short-term disability while putting yourself through a rehab program, no one knows anything about it in most cases, but that's a mistake.

Like any substance abuse, you need help afterwards for reinforcement periodically, and that can only come from people who are trained to help if you want any real success.

As far as timelines go, I think each case is a little different, but I've heard anywhere from 30 days to 60 days after the initial "program" is done, with regular screenings along the way. The initial program can be 7 days to 3 months. It all depends on what's wrong and how bad the addiction is.

Remember, all HIMS contact is completely confidential. There is no "penalty" or "double-secret probation" for calling your HIMS program manager and asking these questions directly. They work for the union, not the company.

Intervening for a family member or friend is one of the hardest things you will ever do, and also one of the most rewarding if you're successful in assisting them to seek help.

Good luck!

Is this HIMS program just for airline pilots unions etc or just pilots in general? Wonder if someone is unemployed/furloughed or between airline jobs do they have to wait the two LOOOOONG years?

Is this HIMS program just for airline pilots unions etc or just pilots in general? Wonder if someone is unemployed/furloughed or between airline jobs do they have to wait the two LOOOOONG years?
Wait for what for 2 years? Airline probation is one year.

The HIMS program is an airline pilot union thing. If you need treatment and you have health insurance, they'll usually big up a large portion, if not all, of the cost of the program.

If you're not in the airlines, I would ask AOPA's Aeromedical for advice.

After you declare an alcohol/drug dependency problem the FAA would prefer you to enter a treatment/monitoring program. This is true for any chronic illness such as diabetes, heart disease, etc. If you do enter an accepted program you can have your medical back in as little as six months. If you do not enter an FAA recognized program it will frequently take years before the FAA will issue a Medical to you again. ALPA has a program for dependency, HIMMS, that has returned pilots to work in six months. The success rate at five years is over 80% where the success rate for people that do not enter a program is less than 20%. The clinics and Doctors involved in this program are contractors that also take patients from all walks of life. Find an AME that has a practice that caters to airline pilots and he may have a list of clinics. One other possible source is AOPA, like Lear 70 said. Without entering a treatment/monitoring program the odds are stacked against you. Not only is the FAA Aeromedical branch familiar with them so is every employer you will interview with in this industry.

I am not talking about me in particular. For the record. I was reading something on leftseat saying something to the effect that most pilots don't seek treatment till they have withdrawls at the controls. My question is if they are hospitalized for related conditions from the withdrawls is that a actual alcohol abuse. They are treated and released. Their medical remains valid, but next time they renew they have to disclose the hospitalization and why. Is this when your up crap creek? What I'd love to know is how many people do these programs then just plain lie on their apps.

I am not talking about me in particular. For the record. I was reading something on leftseat saying something to the effect that most pilots don't seek treatment till they have withdrawls at the controls. My question is if they are hospitalized for related conditions from the withdrawls is that a actual alcohol abuse.
If they are abusing alcohol badly enough to have withdrawals WHILE FLYING, then it's an addiction. It's considered an "illness" and it's illegal to be flying with "withdrawal" symptoms.

Most pilots don't seek treatment until they either get scared by something they did while they're flying or they get cornered by a crewmember who says "call in sick and get help or I'm calling the Chief Pilot" or a family member intervenes before either of those two happen.

They are treated and released. Their medical remains valid, but next time they renew they have to disclose the hospitalization and why. Is this when your up crap creek?
In a nutshell, yes. If you have any hospitalization, doctor's visit, or surgery, the FAA is going to scrutinize your app with a magnifying glass, and you're going to have a hard time of it.

ANY time you're going to have ANY kind of procedure or treatment that you will disclose on your medical, seek assistance from ALPA or AOPA Aeromedical FIRST. Can't stress that enough.

What I'd love to know is how many people do these programs then just plain lie on their apps.
I know of at least one. I'd imagine it's more common than not. There's a LOT of things that will get your ticket punched for 6 months to a year or more including kidney stones, seeking a doctor for any dizzy spells, vision issues besides basic glasses, depression, etc.

This is the main reason that my flight surgeon isn't my Primary Care Physician. I don't want the FAA having that easy of access to my non-aviation medical information. I've never had to hide anything and certainly wouldn't advocate hiding a safety-affecting medical issue, but any of you who have ever had to deal with the bureaucracy that is the FAA with a large rectal scope understand the dangers.

Bad, bad juju can happen when you report things on your medical. Make sure you ask a professional BEFORE you start doing something with a doctor that could jeopardize your career.

Last edited:
Looks like my buddy is in for some interesting times.....he's only a private pilot yet plenty of time to get sorted out for this downswing in the economy.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back