Ever heard of a Windjammer?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SNAFU22

I just attended an auction today and there was a 2 seat Windjammer II and a single seat Windjammer I auctioned off. I've never heard of this experimental nor could I find any information on either of them.

Nope, could it be a Windecker? The Windecker Eagle is a certified, all composite single.

No, both of these were fabric. They looked very similar to a Taylorcraft only much smaller. Both high wing tail dragger's, in-line seating like a cub. Evidently the person who built them passed away, the family didn't know what to do with them so they had them auctioned off. I asked a few folks at the EAA if they knew anything about a Windjammer. They never heard of it either.

I suspect that it was a true home built, not bought from a kit manufacturer. They both looked like they had been sitting a barn for quite some time. The 2 seater had a rotax engine on it and the single seat had no engine.

Yes! I had one on the front of my old Honda CB 750. It was made of fiberglass though.

I believe the windjammer is an old production airplane. They made a radial model back in the 40s and I guess what you saw may be a homebuilt based on that design possibly. Funny thing is the windjammer I saw was in a barn as well. Looks a lot like a cub

I agree, that's the best way I could describe them. The 2 seat was red and white which did fly sometime ago. The 1 seater was yet to be completed. I was seriously interested on picking one up, good project to work on.

The auction was last weekend in Bellvue, MI. $2,600 for the 2 place, $900 for the other. Thought it was a heck of a deal, I was apprehensive to purchase something I knew little about.

Latest resources

Back