Evaluation of ATP CFI Program

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DUATS

I did the CFI program at ATP not long ago, and thought there might be some interest in an evaluation.

Bottom line: I walked out with all three ratings, paying nothing more than the base fee (and examiner's fees of $1400) - in less than two weeks.

I would hesistate to recommend their program to the low time pilot who did not go through their professional pilot program. I think it's too much to digest in a short period of time. You might get the ratings - but you will not have a clue as to how to really instruct. You will struggle unless you really know your stuff.

I DO recommend the program for more experienced pilots, especially those who have some time in a Seminole or its Piper cousin the Seneca. They know what you need to know, have good gouge on the examiners, and can get you ready for the checkride.

If you decide to go, understand there is alot of prep work to do before you get there. You'll need lesson plans for all PTS requirements for the MEI (which you will do first). Don't think you can get them all put together while you are there. It was alot of work - but done in such a short period of time that it doesn't seem so bad looking back.

I had made three attempts at getting the CFI from local FBO's before, and never got close to the quality of instruction I got at ATP. They do know how to get these ratings done!

I'm glad to answer any specific questions.

Did you do the checkrides with the local FSDO or DE? The initial ride is supposed to be with the FAA, but I do know during busy times they delegate it out to local DE's they use. What location did you use? You did all 3 in the 2 weeks? Thanks I'm interested myself.

Did you do the checkrides with the local FSDO or DE? The initial ride is supposed to be with the FAA, but I do know during busy times they delegate it out to local DE's they use. What location did you use? You did all 3 in the 2 weeks? Thanks I'm interested myself.

When you arrive, they contact the South Florida FSDO to schedule your initial checkride (the MEI). Apparently this FSDO has little interest in actually doing the rides, and assigns a DPE within a few days. My initial was on Day 10. ATP flew me to FLL, provided a hotel for the night, and a flight back to my training center after. They do the same thing for both Jacksonville and Atlanta training centers. There are only a few DPE's who do the rides in the Seminole, so they have gotten to know them pretty well.

I did the CFII and CFI (single) with the same DPE on the same day, two days later. He was local to the training center.

Sounds like you used the Las Vegas training center? So they flew you all the way out to FLL for the MEI as your intial then flew you back to complete the CFII and CFI with a local DPE in the the Vegas area?

Last edited:
Sounds like you used the Las Vegas training center? So they flew you all the way out to FLL for the MEI as your intial then flew you back to complete the CFII and CFI with a local DPE in the the Vegas area?

Not Vegas. I am not sure what they do out there.

The other two centers are JAX and LZU (Atlanta).

Latest resources

Back