European Conversion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BigEasy

I am trying to find info on converting my ATP to I believe JAA, from what I have read on this board. I have dual citizenship with a european country and just looking for ideas.

Thanks for any info.

JAA conversion

From what I understand, you just can't walk through a JAA country's door and walk out with JAA licenses. I understand that you get credit for all your flight time, but still have to take all the written exams and practical tests. I also understand that it is a lengthy and laborious process.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck with your efforts.

Give the CAA at gatwick a call, the number is on www.caa.co.uk
As long as you have 500 hours of multi crew time the conversion limits are much lower...I think you only have to take Air Law and Ops Procedures Exams, and 1 checkride. If you have over 500 PIC in your type, then the types will be converted as well. IF you dont have 500 MC then you have to take 800 hours of groundschool, 14 written exams and 3 checkrides Comm, IR, Multi and a CRM course.

Incidently...I dont know what your eyeballs are like, but they have to be better than -5/+5 with less than 1d of astigmatism to pass the medical, just corrected to 20/20 doesnt work over here...

This is what it just took a Danish friend of mine, who had 1300 TT and 1000 Multi:

14 Ground Exams (there are no exemptions unless you have over 3000 TT on long range international routes)

Training required to pass the CPL Checkride (think about 10 - 15 Hours)

Traning required for the IR Checkride ( again about 10 hours)

MCC course.

Total Cost was around 14,000 pounds sterling.

He did the ground school distance learning, which shaved a fair bit off the price. Don't expect to pass all the exams the first time round. Nobody does.

Not cheap, and it'll take about 8-12 months. Good Luck.

I converted my FAA ATP to a CAA (UK) ATPL. I was given alot of credit due to my time in two-crew, transport aircraft (in excess of 3000 TT and 1500 PIC in Group II aircraft). I took 2 written exams: Air Law and Human Performance and Limitations, a very comprehensive medical exam, some fixed base sim time to practice the procedures of the company that I would be flying for, a warm-up sim period, then the IR/PC that was given over a three day period with the CAA observing.

I agree with some of the other posters that alot depends on prior experience as to the amount of credit you are given toward the conversion. Also, I believe my situation was simplified somewhat by my employer, in that they had significant experience dealing with the CAA in the conversion process.

Where a JAA license is valid? Is that license valid only in Europe(all Europe including Russia?) or also valid on other continents too? I know in Asia or Africa you can fly very well with an american license. Does the JAA needs to be taken in UK only or you can take it in any other european country? e.g. Bulgaria, Greece, Romania etc.
I'm trying to figure out what a JAA is?

You should go to your european country CAA,because each state does things in a different way,so your first step should be get in touch with them and you go from there.

So Juventus should I understand that if I want to work in Europe I have to take a license for any d@#n country? So in that case what is JAA for?

Negative,what I meant is that each country issue a JAA licence valid in all JAA countries ,using different methods ,I am saying this because I have an Italian licence that I just converted in JAA .
So every one should rely on their country CAA,I know that sounds crazy but it is going to take a while before everything will be uniformed.

Latest resources

Back