Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FBN0223

Hey Delta guys
I am on the B757 at NW and I typically fly Asia interport or AMS but am looking forward to some different destinations in Europe. AMS is fun but it would be cool to hit a few new places in Europe without having to do the A330 checkout. As you all know, sometimes the location and quality of the hotel can make having a good layover more challenging. So let's hear from the Delta guys on your favorite and not so favorite European layovers. BTW, which cities in Europe are served by the B757 instead of the B767? Lyon? Nice?

Thanks for any info

75's go to Edinburgh, Shannon, Malaga, Lyon, Frankfurt, CVG-AMS, and maybe some others. Nice, Athens, Istanbul, Amman, and Kiev go pretty senior in NYC for F/O's. I haven't really seen a bad layover yet, most hotels are nice and near the center of the city, except for AMS.

Hey Delta guys
I am on the B757 at NW and I typically fly Asia interport or AMS but am looking forward to some different destinations in Europe. AMS is fun but it would be cool to hit a few new places in Europe without having to do the A330 checkout. As you all know, sometimes the location and quality of the hotel can make having a good layover more challenging. So let's hear from the Delta guys on your favorite and not so favorite European layovers. BTW, which cities in Europe are served by the B757 instead of the B767? Lyon? Nice?

Thanks for any info

JFK based INTL FOs hit some of the spots in Europe on the 757, and ATL FOs hit others. The 757ERs in JFK hit the above mentioned, like AMS, FRA, Lyon, Malaga, Shannon, CDG (temporarily), and Edinburgh. The guys in ATL hit Shannon on the 757, but most go south, to Quito and Bogota, and will add Recife and Forteleza in Brazil in December I believe. We also fly the 767ER, and we fly to a lot more places on that aircraft---all over Europe and South America, and into Africa too. From JFK they fly the 767ER all the way to Accra, Dakar and onto Cape Town, South Africa, and from ATL we fly it to Buenos Aires, Rio, and Santiago in South America, and to Lagos in Africa. A lot of those flights switch to the larger 767-400 during the Winter flights to South America especially, and go back to Europe in the Summer. That plane pays $20 more an hour and is fairly senior. Lots of good variety from both JFK and ATL on this "ER" fleet. Rumors abound that we will be moving some of them to SEA to fly to Asia and intra Asia.

Bye Bye--General Lee

75's go to Edinburgh, Shannon, Malaga, Lyon, Frankfurt, CVG-AMS, and maybe some others. Nice, Athens, Istanbul, Amman, and Kiev go pretty senior in NYC for F/O's. I haven't really seen a bad layover yet, most hotels are nice and near the center of the city, except for AMS.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will now be qualified on the 767/76ER as well. While it is very similar to the 757 (thus the common type), it has an inboard aileron as well as the outboard, so flies lighter to the touch than does the 757. Those ER engines are also mighty impressive if you ever get a lighter weight aircraft. And the 767, as is the case of any widebody, is a MUCH more comfortable airplane in the back, since you have two aisles in a 2x3x2 configuration. That means that only one out of seven pax has a middle seat (as opposed to one out of three on a narrowbody) and you have more options for getting around the cabin--crossing over at galleys, etc--and you also have far more lavs--that can be important!

Also, the mix of aircraft differs based on JFK vice ATL flying. There are a lot of legs, such as JFK-DUB, which can be (and are) flown with just two guys--not nearly as nice as with a rest break! Those same legs will required three going to and from ATL.

Also, while there are some common destinations between JFK and ATL, there are quite a few unique ones flown only out of one city or the other. JFK seems to have more, such as Kiev, Berlin, Budapest, Malaga, etc. That said, ATL has our share, such as Stuttgart, Dusseldorf, and Rio.

And of course, expect massive changes in the next year or two. Part of that will be good for you! I expect a lot of ER flying to migrate to DTW and MSP, and lots of European destinations will be part of that.

Latest resources

Back