Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flightjock30

Hello,

I am an airline pilot who has recently had the desire to get back into GA flying. I live n a wonderful area of the country that offers GA pilots with many great scenic destinations.

Assuming a 172 costs $90/hr (wet rate) to rent and I want to fly around 10-12 hours per month, purchase aircraft renters insurance (cost??), and calculate taxes factored in, how much do you think it will cost me annually to fly?

I am estimating close to $1800 a month, but no more.

Please confirm if you think my calculations are accurate.

Thanks.

I came up with $1250. Renter's insurance @ 500/yr (has to be prepaid in full though) which comes to 41/mo. Say $100/hr with taxes included is 1200/mo @ 12 hr/mo. You're well under $1800.

You could own your own 172 for that monthly cap easy, but I agree that if it floats, flies or f$cks you're better off renting, let somebody else worry about the sh$t breaking randomly and engine overhauls. Fly safe!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Fly Safe is right! Especially when I will be renting 172s flown by student pilots who have bounced, revved, and yanked the cr*p out of those airplanes.

haha, we've all been there at one point in time.

I recently checked out at Angel Air in Chandler AZ. They have a very clean operation, new C-172s, nice staff, and the instructor who checked me out was interested in seeing that I was safe, competent, and we filled the "insurance requirement" squares. A very professional organization and process, indeed.

Compare that with getting checked out to fly gliders at Estrella Sailport south of Phoenix. I continually got the run around about how many flights were needed to fly their gliders, never got a straight answer on what they are looking for in a pilot check out, & still asked to fly "dual" AFTER getting checked out. I am beginning to think that Arizona Soaring in Maricopa AZ is out to soak renters. Sorry but they don't seem interested in repeat business. BTW, I have commercial glider and CFI-G ratings... used to fly glider rides for a living and I fly gliders regularly. Not that this makes a difference, but I just think that Arizona Soaring is trying to make extra money by requiring excessive checkout requirements. (and I do buy insurance for the liability and the aircraft.)

With Angel Air, the only problem is that the C-172 is renting for $120/hour!!!! Holy cow!!! I used to pay that for an Aztec! Ouch!!!

Latest resources

Back