• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Established?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just to contradict what everyone else just said, I was taught you are established when you have 3/4 scale when doing the ILS, LOC, VOR, or GPS. Don’t know if that helps or not. Just thought I would give my input.

If you're doing an interview or checkride (who cares otherwise) I wouldn't start down till the LOC/VOR is 1/2 scale, and the NDB is less than 5 degrees.
Once instance I was questioned on what I was doing on a NDB approach when I started to procedure within 10 degrees of an NDB approach. Not saying it was wrong, but I'd rather not have to explain my judgement when the stakes are that high.

Not sure where needle movement and 10 degrees is written, but I'd bet money on this definition. Not sure where it is written, but full scale deflectionis reason for missed. That's my logic behind it. (if you can follow my thoughts on the screen)

BTW, 1600hrs of dual given and I tought this the whole time, great pass rate, if that means anything.

gear goes down said:
Any more input on this would be nice, since im working on my CFII.

I've searched the FARs and AIM, and they don't formally define "established on curse." The Air Force and ICAO formally defines it. The bottom line, I guess, is what is the most conservative thing to do, given the definitions you have...

ICAO standards - used in Australia & the UK (+ the rest of the JAR-la-la-land states) define 'established' as:

Half scale deflection (or equivalent on an expanded scale) for VOR, LOC & ILS, and 5 deg for NDB.

Last edited:
Half scale would be a reasonable standard, even though it is not formally defined.

If ATC left me high and dry on a tight vector, I'd start down at an active needle.

Latest resources

Back