Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captain4242

Just so curious...
Anybody know when this essay was written? I know it goes back at LEAST 20 years.
Anybody know who that 10-year old boy is/was?
Did he ever make it into flying?
Additional imformation?

For those of you who may not know what the ^&# I'm talking about:
an actual school essay written by some kid who wanted to grow up to be an airline pilot:
--gets lots of girls
--needs good eyesight to see through clouds
--makes more money than they know what to do with
--hopes he doesn't get airsick, because he gets car sick. If he gets airsick he can't be a pilot and then will have to get a job.
Us older guys know about this, right??

Here it is:

When I grow up I want to be a pilot because it’s a fun job and easy to do. That’s why there are so many pilots flying around these days.

Pilots don’t need much school. They just have to learn to read numbers so they can read their instruments.

I guess they should be able to read a road map, too.

Pilots should be brave so they won’t get scared when it’s foggy and they can’t see, or if a wing or motor falls off.

Pilots have to have good eyes to see through the clouds and they can’t be afraid of thunder and lightning because they are much closer to them than we are.

The salary pilots make is another thing I like. They make more money than they know what to do with. This is because most people think that flying a plane is dangerous, except pilots don’t because they know how easy it is.

I hope I don’t get airsick because I get carsick and if I get airsick, I couldn’t be a pilot and then I would have to go to work.

-- credited to a fifth grade student at Jefferson School, Beaufort, SC. First published in the South Carolina Aviation News.

I have no idea what happened to that kid. When my oldest daughter was in the 2nd grade her teacher asked her what her daddy did for a living. Her answer - "Nothing, he's a pilot."

'Sled

Well, that essay is pretty much spot-on. I don't know about you all but everything is true except for the pay part. It probably was true back when it was first published. This airline gig is the easiest one I've ever had in my life. Opps, the secrets out. Yeah, pay and QOL could always be better, but sure beats working for a living!!!

WatchYourElbows said:
Here it is:

When I grow up I want to be a pilot because it’s a fun job and easy to do. That’s why there are so many pilots flying around these days.

Pilots don’t need much school. They just have to learn to read numbers so they can read their instruments.

I guess they should be able to read a road map, too.

Pilots should be brave so they won’t get scared when it’s foggy and they can’t see, or if a wing or motor falls off.

Pilots have to have good eyes to see through the clouds and they can’t be afraid of thunder and lightning because they are much closer to them than we are.

The salary pilots make is another thing I like. They make more money than they know what to do with. This is because most people think that flying a plane is dangerous, except pilots don’t because they know how easy it is.

I hope I don’t get airsick because I get carsick and if I get airsick, I couldn’t be a pilot and then I would have to go to work.

-- credited to a fifth grade student at Jefferson School, Beaufort, SC. First published in the South Carolina Aviation News.

This wasn't written by a fifth grader, it was written by an 18 year old in his application to Embry Riddle

Couldn't resist

Latest resources

Back