• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Saluki Dawg

Plane skids across ice at Hopkins
Monday, January 06, 2003

CLEVELAND -- A Continental regional jet has skidded across a runway at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport Monday afternoon.

The airport was closed briefly but has reopened. Travellers can expect delays.

The nose gear of the plane, flight 2051 inbound from Hartford, collapsed, but we have been told that there are no injuries.

We will update this story as more details are available.

Watch Channel 3 News at 6 p.m. for more details

Skidded long.

Went through localizer array for new Runway 6L and took out some ALS lights for 24R.

Question is did the nose wheel collapse before or after hitting the end of the runway? Pretty snowy picture.

http://www.newsnet5.com/

By the looks of that picture, they did indeed use reverse thrust since they shut it down with the buckets deployed. You have to wonder though, if they popped them as an after thought... ;)Woops! (no incrimination intended...)

Last edited:
Radar and Lighting controlling Navaids..

Engineers are evaluating the problem, but an airport worker said that all NAVAIDS were damaged. They are the electronic navigational aids on the runway. They control the radar and lighting. It reportedly could take months to repair.

Why can't the news media ever make a technically accurate statement regarding aviation?

With the amount of snow shown in the picture, that place (CLE) looks like an accident waiting to happen...oh, we didn't have to wait. Anyway, I have no clue what happened; keep in mind that with those conditions it could have easily happened to any one of us (except for me, I'm furloughed). Let's keep the speculation down for now - I think the news media frequents boards like this sometimes.

Don't have the plate handy...what's avail landing dist. beyond the GS? And doesn anyone happen to know the most recent RCR was?

Rank&File said:
I think the news media frequents boards like this sometimes.
I doubt that. If they did, they might actually get something right from time to time.

The scary thing is, it makes you wonder what other stories they are screwing up. With their record on aviation, you'd have to believe they're getting ALL their stories wrong.

CLE has at least one aircraft slide off the runways there EVERY winter. Its as predictable as death and taxes.

BigFlyr said:
By the looks of that picture, they did indeed use reverse thrust since they shut it down with the buckets deployed. You have to wonder though, if they popped them as an after thought... ;)Woops! (no incrimination intended...)

Dumb comment.
Normal procedure would be to deploy the reversers and reverse thrust on landing.
The anti skid system on this aircraft would actually do a better job of slowing the airplane with the reverse thrust assisting.
From experiance, on a slippery runway the combination of brakes and reverse thrust works well. Might I add that we do not know the circumstances of this incident and to speculate brings us to the level of the popular media.
Botom line here is all that got hurt was the loc antenna.
There but for the grace of god go I.

CLE had something similar happen several years ago. A cargo pilot dragged his DC-3 through the localizer antenna and approach lights, then parked the plane and went home without saying anything to anyone. They were without a westbound precision approach for a while.

I haven't been to CLE in years. Do the east-west parallels have any ILS to the east?

Latest resources

Back