ERJ, CRJ, or Dash 8

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

no1pilot2000

Which of these aircraft is easier to learn to fly and to fly itself? I know a few flight instructors who are heading off to the regional airlines and don't know if they want to fly jets or props.

Definitely not the Dash.

Which one is the funnest? Dash.

Your acquaintances need to re-examine why they entered this profession if they want the "easiest".

Definitely not the Dash.

Which one is the funnest? Dash.

Your acquaintances need to re-examine why they entered this profession if they want the "easiest".

What makes the Dash so... not easy? Hearing people talk, its seems likes its an attrition beast in training. I flew P-3s and T-44s, so half of my logbook is Mulit-engine Turboprops, and I'm considering going to a company that flys the Dash so I'm curious why it's considered difficult compared to the jets.

I suppose it would depend on their experience.

I have no experience with the new Q-series dashes but I would think, avionics notwithstanding, this might be the easiest transition for someone coming straight from GA.

After 10 years in the CRJ I can say the main difference is speed of thought. The EFIS is fairly basic and FMS isn't TOO complicated but it is a jet and will eat your lunch quickly if your head is not in front of it. That said, I've had low-time CFIs do a great job on it while some military guys struggled.

I'm new to the ERJ and don't have enough time on it to be the expert but, coming from the CRJ, it was a bit of a leap for this old guy. It is WAY more automated but, if I can do it, anyone can. A person coming strictly from GA, flying the steam-gauges is probably going to struggle. On the other hand, the younger tech-savvy guys, with lots of glass experience seem to have an easier time.

Truth be told, I would look a lot more at the quality of the company than the equipment or quick upgrade. You may be there longer than you think.

Dash-8....remarkably fun plane to fly. Most of the attrition is in the training. Depending on the Operator, it is a labor intensive aircraft to learn. I trained pilots in Downsview at Bombardier's assembly plant. Most do well. Again, it goes back to the Operator's curriculum.

CRJ...Updated models are better than the original CL-65. Fast airframe. Gotta stay ahead of the ship.

ERJ....I'll jump right to the E170-190 Series. Hands down, the easiest jet to learn to fly. It is designed for simplicity and ease of operation. Once you understand how it is designed to function, you'll be amazed at what it can do.

Like any Transport Category aircraft, there is a steep learning curve in any of the above aircraft. Again, depending on the Operator, that initial training experience can be positive or negative.

Do your homework. Choose wisely.

T8

What makes the Dash so... not easy? Hearing people talk, its seems likes its an attrition beast in training. I flew P-3s and T-44s, so half of my logbook is Mulit-engine Turboprops, and I'm considering going to a company that flys the Dash so I'm curious why it's considered difficult compared to the jets.

Lots of gray areas in how to respond to non normals. Requires a lot of thinking, judgement, and systems knowledge. Lack of automation complicates operation. Human factors seemingly non existent when they designed the cockpit. For instance, ice protection is on 3 different panels, in 3 separate locations.

I would think that with your background you'd be just fine. The problem is with people who expect to be told what to do in every situation and think they can just memorize procedures and be fine. It can be frustrating to navigate the "always do this, except when XXX".

Last edited:
I've yet to find a military trained pilot, fixed and non-fixed wing, have any problem checking out in an airliner, as far as flying goes. Now the superior attitude, yeah, it exists in a few but it's a minority in my experience.

Latest resources

Back