• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ERJ-170/190 autothrottles

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What sucks worse is the "Ice Speeds". As the aircraft encounters ice, even though it was a lone cloud that gave you the brief encounter with light rime, the EICAS will get a ice speed message. Sooooooo, even though you are landing in 90 degree heat in Orlando, you have to adjust your speeds to ice speeds. This is because the engineers decided to not put anti ice systems on the tail. Not a big deal for the most part until you need to land in Key west or DCA. Then it is flaps full.
It has nothing to do with a non de-iced/anti-iced tail.

Thanks guys. Guess it's a common problem on all aircraft in gusty winds. I especially noticed it while hanging out at Gravelly Point (park just off the end of DCA Runway 19) watching a USAir Express 170 on final... just rolling out from the last turn, the engines just went up, down, up, down all the way to the flare. And it wasn't gusty at all. I either figured the crew was stabilizing or the autothrottles sucked.

Yes it does
No, not really. Otherwise every other a/c I've flown without a deiced tail would be required to use ice-speeds after an encounter with icing. Add to that every a/c out there that I haven't flown that doesn't have a de-iced/anti-iced tail (see above posting about the CRJ). That's not the case. It does have to do with Embraer not going a little further in their certification efforts thus the latched "ice" message and the requirement for ice speeds.

Thanks guys. Guess it's a common problem on all aircraft in gusty winds. I especially noticed it while hanging out at Gravelly Point (park just off the end of DCA Runway 19) watching a USAir Express 170 on final... just rolling out from the last turn, the engines just went up, down, up, down all the way to the flare. And it wasn't gusty at all. I either figured the crew was stabilizing or the autothrottles sucked.

Yeah, the autothrottle system on the e-jet is definitely the "D student" of autothrottles. Not only do they hunt in gusty conditions, they tend to error to the low-side of Vap and slower, as opposed to varying at Vap to a somewhat higher speed. Its not very comfortable, so its best with the A/T off in gusty conditions.

They generally tend to lag, then over correct which creates a lot of nice cabin bumps at altitude when making speed changes if you don't help them.

Likewise, the aircraft is much easier to land with smoothness and precision with the A/T disengaged when landing flaps full.

Yeah, the autothrottle system on the e-jet is definitely the "D student" of autothrottles. Not only do they hunt in gusty conditions, they tend to error to the low-side of Vap and slower, as opposed to varying at Vap to a somewhat higher speed. Its not very comfortable, so its best with the A/T off in gusty conditions.

They generally tend to lag, then over correct which creates a lot of nice cabin bumps at altitude when making speed changes if you don't help them.

Likewise, the aircraft is much easier to land with smoothness and precision with the A/T disengaged when landing flaps full.

The CRJ, what autothrottles, nuff said.
The Avro , it was rock solid for the most part. Procedure was for us to land with them shut off because we didn't have FAA authority for Cat III autoland (though it could do 3A no problem)

The auto-throttle on the embraer hold speed better than most pilots in my opiniono. They move a bit, but the biggest problem I've seen with them are pilots comfort level. A lot of guys can't stand to see them move and disconnect them or override them without ever giving them a chance. I've never seen autothrottles go wildly off speed, I can't say that for pilots. That's not to say I don't cover them to see what they are doing, but I wouldn't trade them for a non-auto throttle system.

170 auto throttles with gusty winds = not good
190 auto throttles with gusty winds = not to shabby

Ice speeds make for a nice smooth landing with the extra 10 knots....and please STOP overriding the throttles when they are at flight idle! Flight idle is NOT ground idle, the throttles sit forward of the stop detent in auto mode.

Latest resources

Back