Erj-145xr

Cubgrad

Total Time
Does anyone here fly the ERJ-145XR in real life ?

Thx everyone.

Nova

Ops Check Good
Total Time
>1
Yes, there people here who fly the XR in real life.

Superpilot92

LONGCALL KING
Total Time
Dunno?
I fly it in real life but i cant talk about it i would have to kill you.

labbats

Zulu who?
Total Time
I heard it has winglets. Shhh.

Flying Illini

Hit me Peter!
Total Time
what's the deal with the aft strake?

Superpilot92

LONGCALL KING
Total Time
Dunno?
Its is supposedly to stabablize airflow because of the Ventral tank in on the underside of the belly.

91100 100 set

to the book
Total Time
Seriously though, what aerodynamic advantages do the ventral strakes provide? I know in some planes it helps with directional stability (especially in high AOA situations), or it can help the autopilot/yaw damper. Just curious.

LearLove

Total Time
12000+
In high or "approaching limit" AOA conditions the strakes will cause drag and nose down pitching moment to lower the AOA. I believe Lear was the first to put them on a civil aircraft. The F-8 and A-7 along with the F-16 and some others also had/have them.

The professor I worked for in college did alot of this research, but basically its just a zero camber NACA foil that is set to stick into the airstream at high AOA. Along with pushing the nose down they also act like the tail at high AOA as the "tail on top" may be blanked by the fuselage.

Its either that or the jungle people engineers thought it would look neat so they slaped them on. And don't laugh, it would be the first time in aircraft develpoment that was useless but done because they thought it look cool.

My research and work concerning aerodynamics centered around very low reynolds number conditions - read high camber airfoils but my wind tunnel was next to the guys doing the above mentioned work. My stuff wasn't sexy like the dudes operating the supersonic wind tunnels but it had teeth. These same guys came up with the tail fix for the F-18 back when the vert stabs were flying off due to the "rough" flow off the wing root extensions.

Last edited:

Wasted

u can do it too w kandoo
Total Time
The tail strakes were added to compensate for some directional instability caused by the added winglets.

SLFLYHI

Total Time
1500+
LearLove said:
In high or "approaching limit" AOA conditions the strakes will cause drag and nose down pitching moment to lower the AOA. I believe Lear was the first to put them on a civil aircraft. The F-8 and A-7 along with the F-16 and some others also had/have them.

The professor I worked for in college did alot of this research, but basically its just a zero camber NACA foil that is set to stick into the airstream at high AOA. Along with pushing the nose down they also act like the tail at high AOA as the "tail on top" may be blanked by the fuselage.

Its either that or the jungle people engineers thought it would look neat so they slaped them on. And don't laugh, it would be the first time in aircraft develpoment that was useless but done because they thought it look cool.

My research and work concerning aerodynamics centered around very low reynolds number conditions - read high camber airfoils but my wind tunnel was next to the guys doing the above mentioned work. My stuff wasn't sexy like the dudes operating the supersonic wind tunnels but it had teeth. These same guys came up with the tail fix for the F-18 back when the vert stabs were flying off due to the "rough" flow off the wing root extensions.
You went to Riddle, didn't you?