ERAU and a major airline job....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

de727ups

"As for getting hired by majors, my husband and I have a friend that does a lot of interviewing for Delta and Riddle on someone's application is a definite plus for the person."

Well....the above statement was made at another board I frequent. I pretty much disagree that an ERAU background means anything special when it comes to a major airline interview. I think the main thing about having a degree is you get to check the ever important box on the application. No big deal which school you went to or even what your major was....

What do you guys think?

erau grad '99

Being a Riddle graduate myself, I don't think I got any special treatment when I interviewed and was hired. I know alot of Riddle dudes thought they were the best thing since sliced bread when they graduated but when they entered the real world, they realize that you don't need a Riddle dilpoma to get hired. I wouldn't say it's a "definite" plus, but it could be just "a plus". Any 4 year degree is a plus- doesn't matter where you got it and what you got it in, as long as you have one.

I do apologize for any Riddle brats that walk around with a chip on their shoulders, esp. the ones who got hired at ACA via that bridge program. I hear these low timer a-holes are walking into the jet thinking their sh!t doesn't stink. Too bad they have to set a bad rap for us.

Since there are a lot of Riddle grads at the major level, it may help if they are being interviewed by a fellow graduate.

I graduated from the Daytona campus and they most certainty tell you over and over again that the "Riddle" name will land you that sought after interview.

As T-handle said, It's too bad much of the product that comes out of Riddle today feels they are owed that jet job with 500 hours. I hope that Sep 11 has had some effect on those bridge programs.

ERAU: Advantage or Not?

No one will disagree that you MUST have a four-year degree in SOMETHING to get hired by a major.

I instructed at Riddle-Prescott from Dec. '88 - Jul. '91. I have mixed feelings about Riddle and the program as a whole, but I always felt that ERAU students who applied themselves received a great education, especially in aerodynamics and systems. I had as least two students of whom I'm aware who made it to the majors. I had others whom I know made it to the commuters, including at least one who's done very well. Nothing succeeds like success, and I have to believe that Riddle had a lot to with my students' success. The ERAU name means something in this business. It invites attention. So does UND's name, Parks College's name, LeTournneau University's name, F.I.T.'s name, et cetera.

On the other hand, I had students at Riddle who didn't have a chance in hell of being hired by Joe's FBO and Bar and Grill. Riddle's name couldn't help them.

Apart from education, I'm a believer in going to a recognized school because name recognition will invite attention to your app. One needs as many advantages as possible to rise to the top of the hoardes of people applying for what are really very few jobs. But plenty of people who attend Smalltime Community College and train at an FBO also get hired.

Just another two-center.

Last edited:
I went to North Dakota and they told us the same stuff about UND's name getting you an airline job. We all bought it.

Some benefits a larger aviation school does have though are the number of aviation internships available, the ability to participate in a large network of fellow graduates and instruction on how to look for a job in aviation. Other than that, a four year degree is a four year degree.

So tell me... how are all the people who were flying pre Sep 11 with riddle degrees doing now? Working at home depot with a professional aeronautics degree in their pocket? Knowing what I know now, I'd never go to riddle if I had a chance to do it over again, get a degree that you can use when you get furloughed!

I would say that with the exception of a few airlines (Delta being one of them) Embry-Riddle on the resume will actually hurt you. An interviewer sees that and the first thought that comes into their head is "well here comes another cocky a-hole".
I can't tell you how many times I told people where I went to school and got the "oh", as in "Oh great, I can't believe I have to spend the next month with this guy". Of course, I go out of my way to prove I'm not one of the typical arrogant you-know-whats, but the stigma is still there.

There's deffinitely a mentality at Riddle that the average student will graduate into a United 737. They go out into the world thinking the world owes them something and usually fall flat on thier faces.
The rest of us got out of there and made a career on our own, and didn't try to ride the Riddle name.
Bottom line: great education, especially systems and aeronautics, but no better than any other school.

Riddle mentality

Sadly, you're right about the stigma. I had all kinds of students. Some affected the "Riddle, my [bleep] don't stink attitude." But, I did have some real nice, cooperative, and extremely fine people in my cockpit whom I enjoyed tremendously; at least three of whom made it to the majors and/or are doing well otherwise. One made it to United, another to FedEx, and the other is a bigshot at a big regional.

Ifly4food

I would have to disagree with you. I don't think hiring professionals think here comes another cocky this or that. If that were the case, there wouldn't be so many bridge programs, and riddle grads flying in the regional or majors for that matter.

I get the same response from the people I fly with, and have to prove to every one of them I'm not an a@@ hole.

I think more and more people in the industry are starting to realize what type of pilot Riddle is producing these days, but I don't think it's quite where you place it yet. Soon though...

Looks to me like it boils down to the individual. I've met some superb folks who went to Riddle and have met some real nimrods.
When it comes down to filling out an airline app a degree is a degree; either you have one or you don't. A degree from a prestigious academic school, such as Duke, Stanford, etc. might raise an eyebrow, sure. Since people go to ERAU to end up at an airline, though, interviewers are used to seeing them and will end up evaluating them on their merits and not on any preconceived notion they might have about ERAU grads.
Airlines usually don't just pick anyone to conduct interviews. They try to select people who will make a logical, unbiased decision. These people interview a lot of folks and can be counted on to evaluate the individual and not his/her university.
Anyway, it's the person. If the person is pleasant, confident, and seems to have a grasp on manned flight he or she will more than likely get hired. If he or she is socially retarded and/or hamfisted there probably won't be a job offer.

Just another .02; all those pennies should
add up nicely to the next $5,000.

Latest resources

Back