Enstrom Flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Magic1872

Hey all, I'm a 900+ CFI CFII with my ASEL AMEL INST COMM certificates. Anyway I took a ride in an Enstrom the other day and I'm hook. I'm seriously thinking about getting my Private or Commercail Helicopter rating. Just curious if any of the chopper guys can give me more information on what all is involved with accomplishing this goal.

Magic1872 said:
Hey all, I'm a 900+ CFI CFII with my ASEL AMEL INST COMM certificates. Anyway I took a ride in an Enstrom the other day and I'm hook. I'm seriously thinking about getting my Private or Commercail Helicopter rating. Just curious if any of the chopper guys can give me more information on what all is involved with accomplishing this goal.

Having gone through the process recently, I can give you some idea. First, do you want to do it professionally? If so you will definately need the commercial. Since you are already a commercial pilot, you do not need to get a private rating and can start out getting the commercial rating, as it is an add-on rating. Next you will need to forget a lot of what you learned during your fixed wing training. A great deal is relavent, but other things are not. Check the requirements in Part 61. The x-c, night and solo requirements are usually met quite closely. However, the total helicopter time will exceed the requirements of Part 61. So plan on that. Also to build your helicopter time you will need to consider getting a heli CFI rating. I would start working on it during the commercial training. Mostly the talking and CFI reference book.

Good luck.

It ain't gonna be cheap.

In addition, if you're intending to work in the field, do whatever you can to get turbine helicopter PIC time, which is roughly the helo equivalent to multi engine PIC time in airplanes.

Good luck.

hey guys thanks for the feedback. I don't think I want to do it professionally or teach heli stuff. I though it would be a fun new challege, and I get a new rating out of it.

Thanks

Latest resources

Back