Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

enlisting while in college? good or bad?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hootie9750

I am twenty two year old CFII and I have about 1 and a half years left (maybe 2) of college. right now I freelance flight instruct very infrequently and I am totally set on a military flying career. I would like some opinions on enlisting in the ang (either boom operator or loadmaster) . I really could use the free or almost free tuition (depending on state) and the extra drill cash. For job experience on a resume I would think it looks alot better than my part time server job at ihop. plus I assume you get some face time with the officers and pilots. And on top of that I love the idea of being in the military and the commraderie that I hear comes from the AF and guard especially. And I also would feel better about myself later on if I get a slot that I wasn't just handed something without working a little for it. Other than pissing someone off, are there any pitfalls in enlisting in the guard for one of these careers. Also if I enlist can I start applying for pilot slots as soon as I get my degree? thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Great choice

Enisting in the guard is a great choice. I did it and it paid off for me. I know a lot of other guys who did the same and worked out great for them too.

The money is great for a college kid. Plus being Air Crew is a great way to make extra money, (pick up extra flts in the summer) and pretty much garuntee yourself a pilot slot once you get your degree. guard units like to hire their own enlisted people and even more like to hire their own enlisted air crew as pilots.

I would have to say it would be a choice you would not regret. Don't let any recruiter feed you any crap either. Tell them the only way you will enlist is as a load or boom. I know loadmaster slots are easier to get, but Booms have a great enlisted job.

Good luck..

Best Decision I've Ever Made

Dude,

Enlisting in the Guard during college is a great decision, imo. I enlisted when I was a sophomore and now I'm at ENJJPT. Just network with the pilots as much as possible, do a good job at whatever you do, do your best on the tests (AFOQT and BAT) and you'll be setting yourself up perfectly to be selected for a UPT slot. To answer your question, you can apply a semester or two before you finish your degree at some units. If not, you can apply right after you get your degree. If you've got other questions, PM me.

Flaco

Thanks, I really appreciate the great input from you both. I have started emailing some of the c130 and kc135 units around my midwest area. I would prefer to get a state that has some pretty decent education benifits. My other questions are do I have some sort of lengthy enlistment contract that I have to fufill before I can upgrade to be an officer and a pilot? And how much more than the "one weekend a month" am I allowed to work?

Enlisting in College is a great idea. As for lengthy contracts, I had a six-year commitment but was released after only 2.5 years to become an Officer.

You should understand your commitment will continue, but you’ll be an Officer. You can even transfer to another branch; your commitment will just follow you. If you don’t get picked up to be an Officer, you will obviously have to fulfill your original commitment.

Once you’ve completed your degree and initial job training, start applying for pilot jobs. Your enlisted record will be highly scrutinized by pilot selection boards. Work hard, be on time, have a sharp uniform, volunteer for extra stuff around the squadron and you will go a long way.

Good Luck,
FamilyMan

thanks family man, so if I have to enlist for 6 years does that mean I can get the G.I. bill? or would that totally screw me out of moving up to an officer position?

Hootie,
If you enlist in the Air National Guard or Reserves you can get the GI Bill from day one. That’s what I did. The GI Bill is administered by the VA and has no effect on your commitment or ability to become an Officer. I actually had left over GI Bill benefits from my enlisted days that I applied towards my Masters degree.

On a separate note, I have many fond memories of my enlisted time. Turning wrenches and getting dirty while fixing F-15s was a blast. Now I’m a section chief about to meet the Major’s promotion board. How time has changed…..

Good Luck,
FamilyMan

Great Idea!

Hootie,

Just to piggyback here, I'd say go for it! I did it just before the summer I transferred schools, so my job selections in the Guard were limited to those where I could go to Basic AND Tech school over the summer and be back in time for the Fall semester to begin at my new school. I felt this was absolutely critical for me, as I could not waste any time. The age limit for UPT (26 1/2) was a factor then, but I think it has been relaxed now. In my case, I started applying for a UPT slot in my sophomore year just to get the practice and to get to know the people I would need to be impressing. I knew I did not have a chance while I was a soph or junior, because there were a bunch of guys ahead of me who were bumping the age limit. But the interview pratice was worth it, and they all knew who I was by the time I finally got accepted 3 years later ;). BTW, I made it to UPT with only 6 months to spare!

As far as the job you do in the Guard, I'm not sure it really matters. Flying would be great, but realize that while in school it may make your life difficult. Those airplanes tend to leave and not come back for awhile (as in days or weeks later). I'm not an expert, but look into it. I ended up refueling airplanes out on the flight line (it was either that or be the Base Bus Driver), but as it turned out, I don't think I could have had a more ideal job while in college. At my unit, I was able to get hired full time in my field after Tech school, which was awesome because it gave me tons of down-time to study when I needed it and the pay was great. I still got to mingle with the pilots on the line, and it is a simple enough job that you will still be able to excel at it while preoccupied with school and flying. And, driving fuel trucks all over the world (ie while on deployments) was fun. It kept me outside, and near the airplanes (not just our own, but everything that flew in and out as well). The other full-time guys there ( a mix of Civil Service and mil types like me) were great and were usually willing to help me out with changing my work schedule as my school schedule demanded. My point on the job selection subject is, set yourself up to succeed. I knew MANY guys in my unit, headed in the same direction I was, who were great guys and who were Crew Chiefs or mechanics in the squadron. They were going to school full-time too, and I have to believe their jobs were much more distracting than mine was. As a result, it was harder for them to be a "star" in their field, and that's what counts. When it came time, in my third (and last) interview for a pilot slot, they hired me over them even though the other guys had way more contact with the pilots than I did. I had enough to get selected, whereas some of the guys I was competing against may have had too much, IMO.

Lastly, most Guard units get only one UPT slot per year, so it's highly competitive. I knew this going in of course, but it still looked better at the time than competing against 250 cadets in my ROTC Det for 4 pilot slots. Things obviously change, so try to get a good feel for the current conditions. They really like you to live in their state too, because believe me they have enough of the people who are just there to use them. My last piece of advice is to never give them the reason to feel you are using them in any way. Don't hide your aspirations, in fact they'll appreciate that you have them, but be careful about how you present them. I'd try to stay in your home state if at all possible.

PM me if you have any other Q's OK? And DON'T GIVE UP!! It will happen if you want it to!

Hootie,

Been there and almost done that....

I enlisted in the Guard in 1981, and am now retired. I ran into some medical problems and was grounded after beginning UPT. I continued in a non-rated career and retired as an O-4.

Ohio has an incredible tuition program for its Guard members and there is a KC-135 unit at Rickenbacker ANGB (?) in Columbus. The tuition payment is good at most, if not all, state universities. It started with Wright State University in Dayton. You have to be in ROTC and enlisted in the Ohio NG to participate.

Good luck...Fly safe!

Don't rule out FE

Hootie,
If you're looking at a 130 unit, look at becoming a flight engineer. You're right there on the flight deck, responsible for the acft's systems, and you're gaining the best possible pre-UPT insight. After the boot-camp/fe course/unit seasoning you'll be able to go to school and fly weekends/nights/no-school days. Plus, if you're not taking summer courses you'll be able to head out on TDYs. Excellent part-time income and there is no camaraderie like you'll find in the military.

Whatever you do, best of luck!!

Latest resources

Back