Enlisting in the Guard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TorquEffect

Hello, I'd like to get some perspective from some miltary guys about enlisitng in the guard. I'm 19 years old and I'm working on getting my civilian certificates and ratings; including CFI/II. I'll have an associate's degree in one year. I'm considering joining an ANG unit as an enlisted member for three basic reasons:

1) I want to serve in the military

2) I want the college benefits accompanied by enlistment

3) I'd like to make contacts with pilots in a given unit and possibly get commisioned as a pilot once I get a bachelor's degree.

My reasons for enlisting are prioritized in the above order.

I'm considering a particular unit, the 104FW in MASS for two basic reasons:

1) MA has the best education benefits and enlistment bonuses

2) the 104th flies A-10's, my favorite airplane.

I should also mention my eyesight is 20/100. Other than that, my health is fine as far as an FAA Class I is concerned.

So can I get some opinions on my plans?

Respectfully
TE

Last edited:
"my eyesight is 20/100"

I hardly ever check this board, but I noticed your post so I thought I would reply. I would recommend you apply to a 4-year college that has a Navy ROTC program. Find some way to come up with the money and get PRK, then apply to for flight training. That may be the only way you'll ever be able to fly as a pilot in the military. You could also fly as a navigator (Naval Flight Officer)if you can't get PRK. Navigators have many opportunities to fly and they are being accepted into the UAV programs now. Sometimes if you are in an airframe and that airframe's systems are changed, eliminating the need for a navigator, they retrain you as a pilot and waiver stuff like eye sight (consider that if you can't afford PRK yet). Many airlines hire navigators too, but you have to get your pilot-in-command flight experience outside the military (you could easily do that at one of the many aero clubs while you are a NFO in the reserves).

I do know of a '01 grad who got a waiver for something like 20/200 (don't exactly remember but it was bad). He was also restricted to flying transport category aircraft, but better than nothing. I am not sure if they give these waivers away anymore especially for the guard with the economy being the way it is and all these furloughed major pilots looking to get back into the reserves. From what I understand getting a job flying in the guard is a big time hook up. This is all speculation on my part, but I say go for it, and definitely explore the waiver after you get the B.S. Degree.

Good luck

Do It!

Do It!

Joining the Guard while I was in my freshman year of college was the best thing I've done. The earlier in college you enlist, the more benefit it offers you. By the time you go for a pilot slot, you'll already have been in the unit a few years.

This is the path that I took and I'm headed to UPT early next year.

Join now, use the benefits that you're entitled to, and then fight hard for that UPT slot so you can pay your country back! Worry about the eye thing later, as there are options out there for people with your vision, so long as you're motivated.

Flaco

Enlisting in the Guard is very smart

Like Flaco said, DO IT!!!

I did the ROTC thing for a year or two, then enlisted in the guard. If you want to be a pilot in a guard unit then do it. You get a lot more hands on experience as a enlisted member then ROTC Cadets do and you can still become a officer when it is said and done with. Plus you make more money as a officer because you will have 4 years of service.

1. You gain great experience as a enlisted member of the guard. By the time you are done with college you could be a Staff Sgt. Having that experience is invaluable when it comes to being a officer and a leader. Knowing what it is like to be enlisted.

2. Most units give preferance to members already in their units when it comes to piot slots. My unit's last board hired both applicants that applied from within the unit. I know, I was one of them. Most guys I talk to at figther units say that edge helped them get slots.

3. You can't beat the educational benefits. I had full tution paid plus with the GI Bill and Drill pay I made around $800 bucks a month while going to college. It gave me plenty of spending money.

Good luck. I hope you choose to join. It would only help your career.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back