Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...well, not exactly. But...

Furlough - Past or Present -

We all know what we worry about being without a flying job. Not fun. Lets look at it differently. What is the bright spot you never expected out of being "recently free from employment" or "emloyed clolse to home for a change"?

My newborn who sometime in what seemed like a week (she's now 17 months old), now cries for Daddy in the middle of the night. I now know what a blessing that is.

I can make a KILLER Venison Stew!

My lawn looks like one!

Our new neighbors actually know who I am without my wife at my side.

Next???

...oh yeah. Feeling nostalgic? Check out the thread I started here (Majors Board) but got moved (To the GA Board) and died. I wish they'd move it back here 'cause here's where it was hot. Got some really good stuff here.

Here: http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=114692
You've got the great attitude to get through it. You'll look back and remember the time with your family and home as positive, I'm sure.

Having been there a couple times, I know how tough it is to have that kind of outlook on the instability of the profession.

Good luck to you and your family. I'm sure you won't be without a seat for long.

One thing you can do to make the furlough better is to take some advice I was given several years ago by a very wise TWA Captain. He said:

"Treat every furlough like your never coming back and if and when you do come back, act like you never left."

His point was twofold:
Firstly-Don't sit at home after you get the pink slip and turn to the bottle or not get a job and live off your savings because you think you will get recalled soon. Move on with your life, try something different. Your furlough may last a very long time and the sooner you can accept that the better off you will be.

Secondly-if and when you do come back, don't let the fact that the Co. furloughed you eat you up in anger where it compromises your safety, professionalism, and judgment.

During my first furlough with UAL I met my wife. Long story short I ended up leaving a good job to go back to UAL. I don't regret it one bit. I was home a lot and my wife and I had a baby. I doubt it would have happened if I didn't go back to UAL.

Fast forward... I'm furloughed again and love it. I found a good job and I'm home just about every night.

Good luck to every furloughed pilot out there.

Stillflyn

just want to say thanks to all the age 60+ guys...enjoy my seat that you are taking...while all of us are taking it up the a$$ again. thanks a lot

My kids now know me, I am the room parent for my sons preK class, I have lost weight with eating better food and having a regular schedule in which to exercise. Just a few good things, but it still sucks and I am doing a lot of creative financing!

I can only say for myself but being furloughed has been the best thing to happen to me since my ex broke up with me!

I have had my tonsils removed
Lost about 50 pounds (Mainly to the surgery)
Started looking for another job (which is actually kind of fun)
Interview with Mesaba (Studying is a little fun)
Beer
Night life in Los Angeles
The Beach now that I dont look like the Michelin man

...and a whole lot more...

Just having this time off has done a lot for me and I cant wait to get back into someone's airplane!

WHEE!

[/too much enthusiasm]

During my first furlough with UAL I met my wife. Long story short I ended up leaving a good job to go back to UAL. I don't regret it one bit. I was home a lot and my wife and I had a baby. I doubt it would have happened if I didn't go back to UAL.

Fast forward... I'm furloughed again and love it. I found a good job and I'm home just about every night.

Good luck to every furloughed pilot out there.

Stillflyn

You have been Furloughed TWICE from UAL?

I am 100% sure that NONE of the 2172 have been furloughed YET.....as of Oct 1st, 2008.

Decades ago if I would have stuck with my non flying (furlough) job I would have another 0 or may be even two on my retirement. However my assistant would have led to a divorce.......good times......

just want to say thanks to all the age 60+ guys...enjoy my seat that you are taking...while all of us are taking it up the a$$ again. thanks a lot
My seat? It's not your seat unless you can hold it and are sitting in it. Nobody guaranteed you an uninterrupted "seat" for life in this industry.

You have been Furloughed TWICE from UAL?

I am 100% sure that NONE of the 2172 have been furloughed YET.....as of Oct 1st, 2008.

Well,... your 100% wrong (kind of). I am one of the 2172. I was hired in July 99 furloughed in Aug 03 recalled in 05 bypassed until Oct. 06 furloughed in Sept 08.

When they first announced the 950 active pilot furloughs I started looking for another job. I was seniority 8400ish about 800 active pilots from the bottom.

The big mistake I made on my last furlough was waiting until I was on the street before looking for another job. This time I looked early, found one and volunteered for an early furlough.

Stillflyn

Latest resources

Back