Engines go bad if they sit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vik

While looking for a plane to buy I ran across a plane yesterday that has only been flown 10 hours in the past 3 years. Yes, sad but true, only TEN hours in the past 3 years.

What does that do to engine life and to the engine? Its a twin with about 1125 hours SMOH per side.

Looking for insights into how to evaluate this.

My .02 plus a couple bucks might get you coffee @ signature....oh wait, it's free....so keep that in mind :)

Rust never sleeps.....

What part of the country is it in?
Both major engine manufacturers recommend the engine being run at LEAST an hour a month...however corrosion can be found in an engine as little as 2 days after a shutdown.

10 hours in 3 years....definately time for an oil change, hopefully it has had them at the time intervals whether it ran or not.

The best thing to do is pull a jug on each side and take a look. After that amount of idle time it's definately a must if you're going to fly/buy the plane...

If it is going to fly, do an oil change, probably best to get some new fuel in it too. Very thorough runup. Pay close attention to static rpm...Make sure the operating temps get up high enough during the flight....at least an hour.

Afterward pull the cowl and check for oil leaks. Watch oil consumption very closely and do a compression check after a few hours, that way any crap in the cylinders has worked itself out...
Change the oil again soon after...Check the screen/filter for metal.....

Usually that amount of idle time just isn't good news.....

T-Hawk

Don't touch it unless run out engine reserves are priced into the sale. Even if the engines are 0 time, 10 years is a lot of down time. Unless you tear it down completely, it is hard to tell what damage took place and if you're going to do that, you might as well overhaul the engines. There are exeptions but very few.

What type airplane? Is it hangared or tied down? What is the current compression? Where is it at now? Why are you buying it, what do you plan to do with it, how long do you plan to keep it? I bought a C-120 that had flown 100 hrs in 10 years. It was WELL below book value because it had a "weak engine", Duh! But I bought it with the intent of restoring it. I put 100 hours on it and the compression came up. So just because it has sat dosen't mean its a giant rustsicle. But it is something to consider. And even if the engine does pass muster now, it's life span has definately been shortened. By 120 did not make it to TBO. But again, I bought it with that in mind, knowing that it would get overhauled eventually. What other features are there? Are all the AD's complied with? Has it been bent? Are the avionics any good? If you like everything about it except the engine, then I'd still look at it. If it needs an intierior and paint, new radios, etc. and you aren't looking to put a lot of time and $$ money into it. Then keep walking.

Well you have double the trouble with a twin. If there is any corrosion, just turning it over is going to circulate it throughout the engine. The greatest danger is in the bearings. Next would be the rings. Being a twin means it's naturally dangerous. They aren't called doctor killers for no reason. I'd hate to see you just try to run it into shape and have one go out on a takeoff when you're generating the most rpm, power and heat.

Best advice is play it safe. If you can't buy it for a discounted price so when you add in a double engine rebuild that it's still an attractive price, then walk away. If this has has really been sitting that long, depending on the conditions it was kept under, you might want to look for all kinds of oddities. Many an aircraft has been found with various critters' nests fouling up rigging and other vital functions.

I don't know the particulars, and there's a lot of variables, but if it doesn't smell right, (and assuming you're not "in love" with the plane) walking away might motivate the seller to lower his price to something that makes it attractive. After all, he's the one that let it set, he ought to pay the price not you.

I also have to ask why he doesn't get it in good running. Is he afraid to take his family up in it? Remember, it's a collection of various moving parts put together in a way that's designed to come apart. As a mechanic told me: "If it has tits or tires it will give you trouble."

I have also heard that it is bad if the engine was run up on the ground and not flown. Reason being that running on the ground does not get the oil to a temp where the moisture in the oil will drain out of the case. Only flying the airplane will get the oil to a temp where this occurs.

Wankel

sitting too long

Get a very qualified mechanic to look at the plane as a whole. Every pilot, myself included, thinks they know engines. Wrong. My employer just purchased a 40 year old twin with 2800 TT and engines that hadn't been flown in 3 years. The previous owner was the original buyer and he babied the plane from day one. Always pulled the props through by hand, started it every few weeks, changed the oil regular and preformed 100 hrs well below requirements. The a/c was pristine, but the CP was concerned about buying the old plane because of low overall use and the sitting engines. Our mechanic went through it and said if the CP didn't buy it he would (it was that nice) and tens-of-thousands below book. Yes, old planes/engines can be nightmares. But they can be goldmines also. Consult a mechanic.

Latest resources

Back