• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Engine flameout...restart or no?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not trying trying to Monday morning QB here -- just some food for thought.

What you had was a "nice", calm, contained engine failure where everything worked as it should have. After you got it running, I'd argue that you had a pretty high likelihood of an uncontained failure had you gone to TRT or GA thrust. At that point all bets are off - who knows what systems go down the crapper at that point.

I'm not saying I would have done anything different -- then. But after hearing your story of what was found after landing I think I'd only restart if I felt I really needed it to keep from hitting the ground.

PIPE

Excellent point. I do recall briefing that we would not be going around from this approach - when we talked about the engine failure during approach bold face items, we discussed who would do each item, and that after the four were completed, we would be landing single engine. (Talked about how we would accomplish that one also.)

Thanks for the input! :beer:

If you are level in cruise and have a sudden engine flameout with no suspected damage and you are about 30 minutes from a suitable alternate airport, would you elect to attempt a restart or just continue on one engine?

"I feel dumber for even reading this." "there's another 20 seconds of my life I'll never get back."

I say shut the other one down and go for it baby!!!! Be a freakin' hero. It's times like this that you got hired for!!!!!!!!

Gup

"I feel dumber for even reading this." "there's another 20 seconds of my life I'll never get back."

I say shut the other one down and go for it baby!!!! Be a freakin' hero. It's times like this that you got hired for!!!!!!!!

Gup

Dunster is that you?

You're being quite kind to the crew. I take it you didn't read the CVR tape?

I've read the tape. I'm sure you and I and anyone else familiar with the details have arrived at the same conclusion about the crew's attitudes and decisions that day. It's just not the point of the thread, so why rehash that part of it.

I didn't mean for comment to be kind or unkind. I just don't think FlightInfo is an appropriate place to bash dead pilots, regardless of the circumstances. They surely had friends and families who miss them, and those people deserve some respect.

: )

Latest resources

Back