• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingSkip

Generalissimo
Hey Guys,

Boss is "changing the direction of the company" so I'm going to be on the street soon. Looking to break in to helicopter EMS in the Carolinas and doing the normal stuff---networking thru old friends, emails to the websites, etc. Anyone have any help for me here? 5500 TT, 1550 Helo all turbine, 1400 PIC, etc. Just looking to get a foot in te door with Air Methods or one of the other decent providers if anyone has any hints or contacts. Thanks in advance!

Either you haven't updated your ratings, or your boss hasn't helped you out financially with an FW or RW ATP. Can't say that it is the Golden Egg when it comes to landing a job with EMS or any others for that matter, but it certainly can't hurt. With your experience it shouldn't be to difficult.

Were you an HT IP bubba, if so, when?

There are several EMS operators out there that are looking. However you might not find a job in the Carolinas right now. Do you have a helicopter instrument rating? Just about all the operators out there are requiring that. Plus depending on the area of the country, your helicopter time might be a little low. I do know that a couple of operators require 3000+ helicopter.

You might check out http://www.justhelicopters.com/.

I don't know where you are in NC, but if your ship will be coming into TN, you'll probably need 3K helo & 2K helo PIC.

There are other states with less restrictive minimums, though. You might consider hiring on with an employer who has a base in one of these less restrictive states and commuting there until you build the time required to transfer to a base where you'd prefer to work.

Good luck.

Never an IP at Milton---flew the THs and then 46Es in the Corps, and then got out and made REAL money (read that NOT flying!) for ten years until the divorce and the "Why don't I get back into flying?" revelation. Everything was fixed-wing until this guy (known him for years) hired me 6 months back to be the CP but the money stuff isn't as great as he hoped so he's going more towards refurbishment. So I'm released to look for something else and I've always been interested in EMS. Never got an ATP cuz I thought the written was asinine and never wanted 121---if it's an issue I can fix it but hopefully it won't be. I've talked to Air Methods, CJ Systems, Omniflite, US Helicopters and Heli-Inc at this point and have several things of interest but I'm ALWAYS open to new ideas or other opportunities I'm not smart enough/wired into the system enough to know about! Any feedback on any of the above mentioned or any others wouod be greatly appreciated!

Also about the times---I'm still trying to figure that out. Seems like CAMTS would win out, but doesn't seem like it does on times---why is that? Also heard thru the grapevine that those things can be "made to work for the right person"---is that true or a load of fertilizer?

Very interested in feedback from guys who have been doing this awhile as to pros/cons, which company stands out good or bad, etc. I'm wet behind the ears on this, trying to get my foot in the door but I've got a decent amount of TT, 135 experience etc so I'm not entirely naive---just hoping this is better than some of what I've seen!! Thanks for the links to those who've posted---good information and I'm learning quickly what questions to ask and what to look out for---any other info much appreciated!

Air Evac?

Although they aren't in the Carolinas, might look at Air Evac. Bases in the South and Midwest. Pay is in the $40's and I believe it is possible to commute. Might be a way to get started, get competitive and then move on to something better. Good Luck!

Interviewing in the next week or so with a couple of the companies I mentioned before---CJ Systems, AIr Methods, US Helicopters and wondered if anyone had any interview gouge or knew anything about the people I'll run into. Thanks guys---I've received some great help from some people on here and I relly appreciate it! Was just telling the g/f last night how great it that pilots help each other out because everyone knows what it's like to need a little info or a little help and not know where to look for it...

Latest resources

Back