EMS Helo flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

psysicx

Are there any Ems pilots who want to share what its like.I talked to one guy whos starting pay was 60K and home every night.Is this typical and what kind of benefits are there.Thanks

I'm pretty sure getting to EMS status is just as difficult if not harder than fixed wing airline pilots. Most get there ratings and pay alot-because its expensive. Then they usually have to instruct to get to 1,000 hours, then move to Alaska or Hawaii to fly for Temsco and build turbine time, then once they have done that they apply for an EMS job. Its a smaller close knit world. I wish I would have gone that route, or started in the Army ROTC program for a while. I love Helos, watching the EMS boyz behind my hangar every morning makes me drool. I hope to get my rating soon! Helicopters are also way more fun to fly! Bring on the replies!

I've actually thought about doing some fixed-wing air ambulance type stuff, but I imagine that it's no different getting on there than with any other 135 operator. Correct me here if I'm wrong.

-Goose

Most Helo EMS jobs I've seen want thousands of hours in type and years of experiance. The few guys I've talked to said they useually work 12 hr shifts while the medics work 24.

Keep in mind that Helo EMS has the worst safety record outside Alaska. The fundamental risks of flying into urban areas at any hours and in any weather are huge.

USMCcech,

Can you publish the study you are refering to about Rotor EMS having the worst safety record outside of Alaska?

I'm a fixed wing EMS pilot who works for a company with both. I also spent several years flying the Alaskan bush.

Psysicx,

All but one or two of the rotor pilots at my company are retired military rotor guys. We have about 24 rotor pilots. You might want to go to www.flightweb.om or www.justhelicopters.com. Lots of EMS guys hang out there.

Goose Egg,

I really like the EMS world. The only drawback is the oncall time without a lot of flying. We are a busy company and I average 30 hours a month working fifteen 12 hour shifts a month. The medical crews are a dedicated bunch, I've watched someone die in the back of the plane 3 times and the crews get their heart started each time and arrived at the recieving facility alive. Lots of pilots like a flight schedule, big airports, Instrument approaches at both ends and the like. That is not the case. The nature of the business just doesn't allow for it.

OtterFO said:
Lots of pilots like a flight schedule, big airports, Instrument approaches at both ends and the like. That is not the case. The nature of the business just doesn't allow for it.

Sounds like a blast. Care if I pm you with questions?

-Goose

my first helo CFI just recently got a job as an EMS pilot. He only had around 1000 horus and only around 90 hours Turbine (and yes, he is the only pilot onboard, not SIC).

He said in the helo world you first instruct or do basic sight seeing flights & patrol flights, then comes EMS, ENG, or off-shore oil platform flights, etc... then you move on to Corporate flying. Starting pay of 60K for EMS is typical.

A EMS helicopter crashed into the Potomac River. I am waiting for more info. The T.V said it is a heli from MD. I am not sure though.

Latest resources

Back