• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates orders 30 more 777-300ERs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If Emirates ever opened a U.S. base, they'd have no problem getting highly-experienced pilots for a long time to come.

Whenever hiring picks up in the U.S., Emirates has a *VERY* hard time recruiting. Right now they're having to lower their mins to get people in the door (running recruiting sessions throughout the U.S. right now). When retirements pick up in 2012 and the Legacies have to start recruiting 600-900 pilots a year, the RJ folks won't want to go to Dubai - they'll wait for a U.S. Legacy, and Emirates will start getting *REALLY* desperate for pilots.

I'm betting we'll see a large change in Emirates' hiring / pay / QOL in a couple years because of it. I also bet JonJuan is right, and Obama and administration will attempt to relax restrictions for Emirates here in the U.S. I'm SOLIDLY against such a relaxation, but I can see the writing on the wall...

Time will tell...

I hope they know how to play politics..... They are one of the only airlines in the world that has control of the fuel budget, so it could be quite lucrative for the employees someday, as everyone else has to bend the employee costs to deal with fuel expense, they can do the opposite.

I hope they know how to play politics..... They are one of the only airlines in the world that has control of the fuel budget, so it could be quite lucrative for the employees someday, as everyone else has to bend the employee costs to deal with fuel expense, they can do the opposite.

Don't know if your theory will prove correct going forward but historically EK's salary package has never been stellar when compared with with other expat jobs abroad

Don't know if your theory will prove correct going forward but historically EK's salary package has never been stellar when compared with with other expat jobs abroad

Dumb,
You know, I'm as skeptical about a "pilot shortage" as the next guy, but if you take a 1000 yard stare at the pilot workforce right now, if there is ever going to be a shortage it's coming in about 5 years.

First you have the military both here and abroad minting and training far less pilots than even a decade ago. The Navy used to put through around 1000 pilots a year just 20 years ago, this years output will be closer to 400 when said and done. Those pilots are also less apt to leave the military for the airlines than ever before because with bonuses and pay, they probably make more.

Second, you have a generation of RJ pilots that are at the top of their lists, both here and abroad and they are going anywhere. The younger RJ pilots will be there, but many have left this career field and the puppy mills aren't attracting as they used to.

Basically by the time EK takes delivery of these jets, majors around the world will be retiring pilots enmasse, someone will fly planes. The only way the EK will be able to compete will be to offer something that is above what is here or in Europe, or the Far East. So far, a shinking industry has helped, but in the future, unless they can train the Indians to fly their planes (what the heh, they do everything else in UAE) they will have to increase pay and bennies to compete.

Best of luck, I don't plan on commuting to the middle east to fly anyone's plane. There is a reason that no one wants to live there.
Luv

I agree with your assessment completely, that is why I stated on another thread that the international market for pilots that have the magic 1,000h wide body intercontinental PIC experience will be very interesting in the next couple of years and you are seeing it right now with the raise in contract salary packages in China, my point is that EK has always been on the lower end of total salary packages and benefits when compared with other jobs abroad but I agree with you, they better make it competitive or there will be lots of airplanes parked in the dessert and I don't mean Arizona

Hi!

Misconception about jet fuel and EK.

EK actually pays MORE in DXB for fuel, than they do in many of their other destinations where they buy fuel, according to article(s) I read about the situation.

cliff
LFW

Re: the next pilot shortage.

There will be one but it will be of little consequence to those of us here.

Look at American; I believe their youngest pilot is 36 years old and as we have heard a million times they have more pilots over 55 than under 40.

When American finally gets around to minting new hire pilots again this group of pilots, who are probably five to fifteen years old now, will spend very little time stagnating on the list. They will spend most of their careers in the left seat. They will rapidly advance into wide bodies and they will wonder why those old guys think that this is such a ****ed up profession.

I don't see the situation helping those of us who are already in the trenches.

Hi!

Misconception about jet fuel and EK.

EK actually pays MORE in DXB for fuel, than they do in many of their other destinations where they buy fuel, according to article(s) I read about the situation.

cliff
LFW

Not buying it...... I have read the local paper in DXB about how wonderful and insightful their management is..... $2 Billion profit here and there, etc. Always increasing earnings and growth. No one except for a select few know the real books in that country, look at the Dubai tower of the Arabs, etc..... everything is rosey, rosey right till the sheitz hits the fan. Granted their are some DEEP pockets in that region that are continually filled the worlds purchase of their crude, but do not believe for one second that EK has some majic formula that has created an airline which is minting money for the emirates. What I believe is that the emirates are pouring money into their airline and other enterprises to creat the mirage of success in hopes that eventually they have created a self sustaining business. When EK goes public some day on a market that demands accurate financials, then I will believe that the sultans have figured out how to make billions and billions of so called profit from the historically vicious airline business.
Like I said before, to lure this many additional pilots to DXB, their gonna have either a complete implosion of the US market or raise their compensation package more.

As I have heard many times in the past. NEVER listen to a pilot when seeking financial advice or career advice. Do your own research (not from rumor boards), draw your own conclusions, and chose the best thing for you.

As I have heard many times in the past. NEVER listen to a pilot when seeking financial advice or career advice. Do your own research (not from rumor boards), draw your own conclusions, and chose the best thing for you.

Well isn't that the truth! Even then it's a virtual crap shoot. Anyone who was looking into the airlines in 1999 wouldn't have looked any further than DAL/UAL/AA as they were raking it in for profit, UAL had hundreds of 777's on order, etc.
All it takes is a few management missteps, a couple of job actions, etc and you have a complete meltdown of a company over time.

Latest resources

Back