• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates Information sessions USA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The first thing you will learn from the session is that Emirates is based out of Dubai.

Apparently you have not been to Dubai. Dubai is more western than most western countries.

Sorry I meant Dubai (Bahrain is Gulf Air) and yes I have been there quite few times (9 bucks a beer at the Crown Plaza...unless you have an Emirates crew card). Dubai is very westernized until you leave the city center.....then things are quite different for Infadels.

Sorry I meant Dubai (Bahrain is Gulf Air) and yes I have been there quite few times (9 bucks a beer at the Crown Plaza...unless you have an Emirates crew card). Dubai is very westernized until you leave the city center.....then things are quite different for Infadels.

The Infadels are a music group.

I live outside the city center...so I am interested to hear what experiences you had that was different for 'infidels'. Can you be more specific.

Respectfully

fv

Not trying to flame or be too negative, but did EK talk about:

1. Serious currency issues and hyper-inflation leading to loss of purchase power in Dubai (very expensive) and how they would counteract that? = Serious currency issues if you are not an American and are trying to compare you salary to the Euro, Aussie Dollar, Pound, etc. The Dirham link to the Dollar is causing inflation in Dubai no doubt about it. Yet inflation is also occuring elsewhere in the world due to rapidly rising food and oil prices so you can't be anywhere that is immune to these effects. To blame it on Dubai or Emirates Airline is a bit naive. Emirates has had 10% pay raises each year for the past three years and will most likely do the same, or more, again this year. The falling value of the USD is actually helping the Americans at EK as we are getting bigger raises than we would if the currency was depreciating.

2. Attrition issues with pilots. I don't believe everything I read on Pprune (seems to be quite negative), but I am sure some of the negativity is based on truth. Some pilots are VERY negative and mad about the situation there. Can EK explain why "a fair number" of pilots are leaving beyond just normal attrition? How do they intend to keep pilots for the long term? Moving your family to Dubai is a big deal. Too bad they can't be more progressive like Cathay and offer a few non-Dubai bases... Attrition due to those from the UK, Australia, Europe, etc leaving for one of two reasons. They see the value of their pay in Dirhams versus their home currency declining to the point that they can get a job at home and make equivalent money. Pretty logical choice really. Most people become expats either to get a jump ahead in their career or because the money is better. If you aren't meeting those criteria it is usually better to live in your home country. The second biggest reason is there is about a 10 year point at which you really just want to go home and will even take a lower paying job to do so.

Plus, if you can relay any of the positives you gleened from the EK meeting that would be appreciated.

Typhoonpilot

The Infadels are a music group.

I live outside the city center...so I am interested to hear what experiences you had that was different for 'infidels'. Can you be more specific.

Respectfully

fv

I was there during the Rugby 7's and was wearing a US Eagles jersey when we left, was spit at and told how all the US Rugby team would be struck down dead for what Bush has done in Iraq....like it was stated earlier above beautiful city, love visiting...but as for living there.....

I was there during the Rugby 7's and was wearing a US Eagles jersey when we left, was spit at and told how all the US Rugby team would be struck down dead for what Bush has done in Iraq....like it was stated earlier above beautiful city, love visiting...but as for living there.....

I am sorry to hear that...I too was at the 7's and it was a great weekend...but I would not judge living here by that experience. I have not heard of that kind of thing from anyone I know, although I am sure it happens occasionally. I wonder how an Emirati would do walking around an NFL stadium on gameday in a dish-dash (sp? - traditional arab dress). Does that determine how living in the USA is because someone of ignorance chooses to insult - I think not.

I do believe that those people reading posts on living in Dubai should be cautious when advice is given from those who do not live here.

To those who are considering coming or are in the process of making the move - family life here is fantastic - always stuff going on. The access we have to major events along with the prices in comparison to the US is really good.

Throw in the beach and desert activities available and before you know it you have settled into family life here where you are running around to kids sporting events, entertaining visitors (folks - they just keep on coming) and wondering every weekend - where did the day go - because you are so busy. This weekend we are going to the red Bull air race in Abu Dhabi and the motor racing at the Dubai autodrome.

Respectfully,

fv

I have spent time in Dubai, Bahrain,Afghanistan, Kuwait, Israel , Jordan and Turkey (more Mid Eastern that European in my opinion) and have never had anything like that happen in any of them. Opinions are based on experience and I had my experience...the real funny thing I had a US Rugby shirt on and I'm a Kiwi!

I have spent time in Dubai, Bahrain,Afghanistan, Kuwait, Israel , Jordan and Turkey (more Mid Eastern that European in my opinion) and have never had anything like that happen in any of them. Opinions are based on experience and I had my experience...the real funny thing I had a US Rugby shirt on and I'm a Kiwi!

As you know plenty of fellow Kiwis in this kneck of the woods...if you are thinking about a move this way...it has been a positive move for many of us...but clearly not for everyone.

Now back to the Kiwis...a la the Rugby World Cup...perhaps the greatest choke in sports history

...;>

fv

As you know plenty of fellow Kiwis in this kneck of the woods...if you are thinking about a move this way...it has been a positive move for many of us...but clearly not for everyone.

Now back to the Kiwis...a la the Rugby World Cup...perhaps the greatest choke in sports history

...;>

fv

Yea that was pretty bad....I had to watch the game with a group that was German and French in Ramstein. We'll see what the Blacks come up with for the Tri Nations.

I went to the one in Detroit. It was great. I even got an interview scheduled for June.

Are they not as fanatical about wanting Boeing or Airbus experience liked they used to? I had an interview lined up a few years ago, but decided to stay in the US. Wonder if I should get that application updated!

Working Overseas and returning to work in US?

A while ago, I remember hearing something about never being able to come back to the US to fly once you work in a foreign country.

Is there any truth to this? Specifically, working for Emirates, and coming back to fly for UPS.

Thanks.

-Dusty

Latest resources

Back