Emergency in ATL today?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

huncowboy

Just wondering what it was about. I was connecting there and the captain on my first leg announced some emergency in ATL as a reason for our 30 min hold. He said the plane landed safely. Anyone?

Is this the blackberry thing? No one claimed a blackberry on board and they diverted. Check out CNN

About 10 am this morning a flight (delta i think) had flight control problems. They told ATC they need to be on the ground IMMEDIATELY. ATC basically shut down all of the arrivals for 25 minutes.
This is what ATC told us while we were holding over LGC.
3 Delta flights diverted.

Prop2Jet said:
well strike the blackberry comment!

I think the blackberry thing was on a United that diverted into DFW.

A lear landed in Atlanta this morning with just the "Green" standby hydraulics. Zero flaps and limited braked applications. He declared an emergency and said he would not be able to exit 9L so a tug was positioned. We were #3 in the money line for 9L when he came whizzing by. Smooth non eventful landing and cleared runway at the high speed turnoff. Tug took him the rest of the way in. 9L was out of service for about twenty minutes during the hooplah and 9R was used for departures. I know nothing about lears so just relaying what the pilot was telling tower.

DAL 1125 757 if I remember right. We were #2 behind them when they declared an emergency. They announced that they were going around probably around 5 mile final on 9L. Tower gave them rwy and 3500 or 4000'. Then DL1125 declared an emergency. It was the female pilot talking all the way up to this point. Lots of alarms going off in the background anytime she transmitted. The male pilot came on shortly there after restated the declaration of an an emergency, said they were going to level off at 3000' and that they needed to come back to the airport immediately. Both pilots sounded very strained when they made their calls on the radio. Something must have gone oh $hit! wrong for a minute or two. The twr sent us around then changed his mind, asked if we had the field and cleared us to land. They came back and landed maybe 5-6 behind us. When they were back on with twr the female pilot's voice sounded normal again and they landed uneventfully. There was holding before this happened anyway, I think we did 2-3 turns. The same DL flight told ATC that the had about 12 mins left before they had to bug out to Huntsville from the hold. ATC promptly put them on a vector for HSV. After a minute or 2 ATC came back and said that the low controller could work them in and turned them back to ATL.

Latest resources

Back