• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Embry-Riddle Simulator Prepare Pilots For Water Landings

Amish RakeFight

Registered Loser
Total Time
I love how the reporter keeps saying how "calmly" they handled the same situation without panic in the simulator. LOL.

LearLove

Total Time
12000+
yep - this really getting out of hand. gee how can i cash in on this also??

Flying-Corporal

I wonder if ditching in Hudson was part of their training before. Oh, wait! It is now, after the TV station called them up

:)

Browntothebone

Total Time
-
Actually, this is just one more reason that Riddle pilots should be given reduced hiring minimums. No other flight school gives there students such training. It has now been proven to be of real world value.

Last edited:

LowlyPropCapt

PBR For Life, and Beyond!
Total Time
8000+
That made me laugh... Please send me one cup of coffee and a new keyboard!

knewhigher

Total Time
They don't call it the Harvard of the skies for nothing!

Fly2Scuba

Total Time
http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/a-water-landing-youve-got-to-be-kidding/

Back in 2006, I blogged about a bunch of nonsense that they do on commercial airline flights, including the idiocy of schooling passengers on what to do in the “unlikely event of a water landing.”
My friend Peter Thompson’s research found that there had been more than 150 million commercial flights since 1970 without a single water landing.
How rude of Chesley Sullenberger to make Peter Thompson start counting over from zero after saving 155 lives in a water landing yesterday. Doesn’t he know how long it takes to count to 150 million?

One out 150 million flights (that's just any random water landing, then multiple that by 1000 to dial up the chance it would be out of LGA again when it happens next); good thing Embry Riddle is having students shell a few hundred dollars learning that specific procedure? Speaking of economics, did they calculate the fatigue related factor of having to pay back the loan to pay for the sim session along with the well over 100 grand price tag on less than stellar pay rates these days which probably involves a second job of some sorts and/or picking up as many overtime flying hours as possible? Also I believe there is a one in a 150 billion chance of a meteor knocking out the right wing flap out of Albuquerque on departure . Can they dial that up in the sim also? Good grief.

Captzaahlie

My kind of FOD!
Total Time
18k ?
http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/a-water-landing-youve-got-to-be-kidding/

Back in 2006, I blogged about a bunch of nonsense that they do on commercial airline flights, including the idiocy of schooling passengers on what to do in the “unlikely event of a water landing.”
My friend Peter Thompson’s research found that there had been more than 150 million commercial flights since 1970 without a single water landing.
How rude of Chesley Sullenberger to make Peter Thompson start counting over from zero after saving 155 lives in a water landing yesterday. Doesn’t he know how long it takes to count to 150 million?

One out 150 million flights (that's just any random water landing, then multiple that by 1000 to dial up the chance it would be out of LGA again when it happens next); good thing Embry Riddle is having students shell a few hundred dollars learning that specific procedure? Speaking of economics, did they calculate the fatigue related factor of having to pay back the loan to pay for the sim session along with the well over 100 grand price tag on less than stellar pay rates these days which probably involves a second job of some sorts and/or picking up as many overtime flying hours as possible? Also I believe there is a one in a 150 billion chance of a meteor knocking out the right wing flap out of Albuquerque on departure . Can they dial that up in the sim also? Good grief.

What are the chances of this happening?

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/captzly/vestaroundneck2.jpg