Embraer and SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lowecur

As much as Gary Kelly and the rest of the crew over at WN want to pooh, pooh the possibility of any serious thought to a second airframe, it's my contention it's gonna happen. They say they are casually looking at the Embraer a/c, but that's so they don't give their hand away to the Legacy's who are also looking at the same planes. There are a limited number of mfg slots available, and WN doesn't want to be the last order through the door. Read the whole reply on the following hyperlink, and tell me you don't get the feeling there's more interest than just casual.

http://www.newsalert.com/bin/story?...&FQ=embraer&NAV=na-search-&StoryTitle=embraer

The 170 was at Meachem Field in Dallas this past week. Rumor has it both WN and AMR went to have a look see. WN may have the inside track due to their financial strength. ERJ has been getting the BNDES bank to finance many of the purchases to date, but future purchases will have to get their own financing. I don't think DL will have a problem, but AMR may.

I think the majority of the order will be the 175, with 25% of the order for the 190. I originally thought the order may go through by the end of the year, but it may be stretched into spring.

Everyone is thinking EMB's because they're doing thier world tour... Considering how much of a hard-on for cockpit commonality SWA has, I'd think that they would beg Boeing for a better 737 derivative, like a -600 that doesn't suck.

Just my .02,

T

This is not something WN will sit on forever. Gary Kelly knows that a big part of this business is timing. He waits too long to make a decision, and DL or a host of other carriers will step in ahead of him for mfg slots. ERJ is just not equiped for the demand they will receive in the next 12 months. Many are desperate such as DL and AMR to get this a/c, but they need to work out who will be flying it first.

Many of the legacy carriers will probably be left out. This will put them at a distinct economical disadvantage to compete for the next 5 years.

Air Canada will get a $700M loan in the next few weeks. They are rumored they will place an order with Embraer for 40 a/c before the end of the year. The rest of the Star Alliance will wait till 2004.

T-Gates awesome avtar.. the purple monster!!

SWA and Gary Kelly don't rush into anything. They will take their time. It is probably a trick they are playing on boeing.... Give us cheaper jets and make them faster...

lowecur said:

The 170 was at Meachem Field in Dallas this past week.

Meacham is Fort Worth, and if the Embraer was there, it is likely that Spirit was looking at it. Unless something has changed recently, Spirits owns the old Eagle Aviation Services business at FTW and uses it exclusively for heavy m/x.

regards,
enigma

enigma

Apparently it was also over at Mercury Aviation at the Addison City Airport. A pilot on another board was in STL, and he was asked if he wanted to go with them to Addison. The 170 pilot said they were showing it to SWA.

In regards to Spirit, that's interesting you mention them. An unnamed buyer has purchased 10 190's with options for 20 more a few months ago. They asked to remain anonymous. I don't believe a public company could hide this purchase, so Spirit may be the buyer.

lowecur said:
Many are desperate such as DL and AMR to get this a/c, but they need to work out who will be flying it first.

No force majuere about it, if DAL buys them the mainline will fly them. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back