Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Goodbye

Tina Fey's Scar said:
So it looks like you are a dumbass.... no surprise there.

First guy on my ignore list yet. Congratulations Mr. Private Pilot.
Aviation is a occupation where people still treat others with respect, and I won't waste any more time with your posts.

I've been using the Telex 750 on the Jungle Jet for about four years now and I love 'em. I blew out a speaker about two years ago and Telex fixed them in about a week, but for that one trip I had to wear DCs and I thought somebody had my head in a medieval torture device.

The wind noise up front is a little much, though. When you look at the airplane, it has the same nose shape and cross-section as a Brasilia... I guess the wind noise comes from shoving a 280-knot nose through the air at 450. But I digress.

I wear earplugs under them to cut the wind noise and just turn up the master volume on the audio panel. Doing that also helps to moderate the volume of the aural warning unit.

ATRedneck said:
I've been using the Telex 750 on the Jungle Jet for about four years now and I love 'em.

I wear earplugs under them to cut the wind noise and just turn up the master volume on the audio panel. Doing that also helps to moderate the volume of the aural warning unit.

This setup works perfect.

Chip said:
ANR does not work well to cancel out the high frequency noise (wind noise) that is produced in the ERJ cockpit. About the only ANR model that works OK is the Bose.

You obviously haven't tried the Sennheiser ka 25's. They are the most comfortable headsets ever! The anr cuts the noise down dramatically--quieter than the DC's with the ANR on, tolerable with the ANR off. The only bad thing is this headset is a battery pig. I think they offer it without ANR for a couple hundred less, and if I could do it over again, that's what I would get.

I like the Telex ANR 500. Lightweight, very quiet. Took a month or so to get used to wearing a headset on my ears, as opposed to around them, but then again I have big ears.

After using a few different headsets, even the ear-plug type for a bit (in GA flying), I've found that any headset will get old after a while. For those real long legs, it's nice to just take it off for a bit and use some earplugs with the overhead speaker.

Sennheiser HMEC25S.
I've been using this for over a year now and found it to be the best option. I use two sets of AA's per month. (it takes two) The stereo option has an in line volume control that you can use to quieten the alerts. I find that 75% volume works perfect. I had the Telex 5x5's for a couple of years but they were not as quiet as the Senns.

Help me Obe-Wan!!

I've got Lightspeed 15XL's. I brought them with me from the freight world. If they're quiet enough for a Baron..... I really like them for comfort and the passive noise cancelling alone is usually enough in the ERJ. I only turn on the ANR in very busy airspace like Chicago or DC. Of course you look like Princess Leah(sp?) wearing them!! They're huge!!

The telex 750's are $250, weigh nothing, fit easily into your flightbag, and do not obstruct your sunglasses. Earplugs make the noise level extremely comfortable, and they're free in most crewrooms. My opinion is why spend $500 + on an expensive noise cancelling headset? Good luck with your choice.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back