• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Electronic logbooks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Moderator, can you replace this to the 121 forum please, this topic pertains to logbooks used by 121 pilots.

Anyway, I just tried to sign up for safelog and find you need to buy the app for $40, then buy a web or PC based logbook for another $50-300 depending on how many years you want. I didn't buy only becuase i couldn't get through the website, it locked up, so how well does their software workif their website won't let you buy it?

Moderator, can you replace this to the 121 forum please, this topic pertains to logbooks used by 121 pilots.

Anyway, I just tried to sign up for safelog and find you need to buy the app for $40, then buy a web or PC based logbook for another $50-300 depending on how many years you want. I didn't buy only becuase i couldn't get through the website, it locked up, so how well does their software workif their website won't let you buy it?

Went to log on and couldn't either...first time in about 4 years for me....Works now if you want to give it a try

Logbook "pro" has gone to the Kodak business model -- sell the cameras cheap and make all your money on the film. The apps are free, the required windows software is pretty cheap, but the recurring fees are crazy. $50 for backup? $30 for sync? $40 for schedule import? So right there it's $120 every year! Plus extra for route browser. Oh, and the mobile apps don't do 30/7!

LogTen is a much better product, and the yearly costs are quite a bit less than logbook pro.

Great point! I've been using Logbook Pro since 2005. It's a nice program and has been extremely reliable. However, they charge WAY to much for their services nowadays. Price, and the lack of a stand alone apple product, are driving me away. I'll probably give Logten a try soon. Just hope they have all their issues worked out.

you say its expensive but safelog is close behind at $40 for the droid app and up to $300 for years of web based programming. I don't mind paying if it works, but after downloading the droid app and finding I couldn't get the required web app to activate the droid app, I almost went beyond the time allowed for a refund, just 15 minutes. Seems to me if you want more folks trying your software, let them have it for 6 days, then charge.

Anybody have a way or program where you could scan or take a pic of your log book and then the program could convert it into a spreadsheet/excel file? Trying to save myself from typing in everything individually.

Love Logten Pro. It even figures out your night time and night/day landings automatically. If your company uses FLiCA, you can import your entire month's schedule in at the beginning of the month and then just fill in the OOOI times, your airplane number, whether you were the flying pilot, and the approach done, and everything else fills in automatically.

Anybody have a way or program where you could scan or take a pic of your log book and then the program could convert it into a spreadsheet/excel file? Trying to save myself from typing in everything individually.

You might be able to use an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program to "read" your scans and make an Xls file. I'm not sure if Office includes an OCR function or not, but I'm sure you can find one for free online.

I've heard great things about Logten Pro but what do you do if you have an Ipad, Iphone and a PC computer? My understanding is it is only available for Macs. Am I just out of luck? Any recommendations for a compatible logbook? Thanks

I have logten pro on my ipad and the ipad is my only Mac product. Love the program so far. The only thing was is that it totally sucked to manually enter in everything on LogBook Pro...that alone took a few intense days and nights. Then convert it to a CSV file, send it to LogTen and they converted everything to their format for the ipad. Haven't looked back.

And just FYI for the original question I had on the post. Tried a few OCR (Optical Character Recognition) programs out there and none of them worked perfect. Got a few numbers here and there but nothing that just copied everything perfect like I had hoped hence why I had a few intense days and nights manually logging it in the computer.

Latest resources

Back